Local area connection disabled via remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Need help. Made a major mistake of clicking too fast and disabled the Local area connection by mistake. so i got logged off and LOCKED OUT. how can i access the server. i have tried to reset it, but when it reboots i get blue lights the health light turns blue and purple then all light go out but one light the power button remains blue. my hardware is a HP EX470.thanks
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:24 AM

Answers

• You may be able to recover by using the procedure for server recovery that's detailed in the users guide for your server. Don't follow the factory reset instructions; that will wipe all your data.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:54 AM

All replies

• Since you have tried to reset the system, and it seems not to have worked, maybe your best option is to contact HP support.
    Does the manual describe the LED situation?
    For a headless device without an optical drive I am also out of too many ideas, what you could have done without the reset.
    Maybe what I would have tried is to remove the system drive, attach it as additional drive to another system, run regedit on that system and load the system hive from the disks folder Windows\system32\config under HKLM. Find the network adapter properties here and remove the disabled attribute (or as a last resort delete the device at all, so that it could be found again at next reboot).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:43 AM
  • You may be able to recover by using the procedure for server recovery that's detailed in the users guide for your server. Don't follow the factory reset instructions; that will wipe all your data.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:54 AM
  • I have managed to attach the system drive to an external drive enclosure and will be able to copy the most important files that i had stored in the WHS. However i would still like to recover with minimal damage(if it can be done) is there a way to access the LAN settings since i can see the WINDOWS FOLDER. i tried to access the registry but i am limited as to how to load it. thanks.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:21 AM
  • unfortunately it appears that i cannot copy the files. i keep getting this Error 0x80070780: THE FILE CANNOT BE ACCESSED BY THE SYSTEM
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Just read some of your post Karen and just managed to copy 1 file. i am now trying to copy the rest. i would still like to be able to restore the system . thanks
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:35 AM
  • That specific error indicates that you're trying to copy a "tombstone", rather than the actual files. On your system drive, if you have a second drive in the server, any files will be in folders under the hidden folder <driveletter>:\DE\Shares.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:08 AM
  • HP should have implemented some type of security setting that disables the ability to disable the NIC on these headless HP units.

I am not sure where you are at, and it probably is a long shot, but if you picked up a USB wired lan adapter that has native XP support you might be able to pickup an ip address over DHCP and then be able to RDP back in.    

A WiFi adapter probably wouldn't pickup any IPs, but a wired one would have a good shot if drivers didnt need to be loaded after plugging it in....     
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:41 PM
  • I did this to my WHS too.

What I did was using the keyboard blindly entering the following keys:

- enter "windows + R", this opens the run dialog
    - enter "ncpa.cpl" this opens up network connections dialog
    - now assuming you only have one network card you press the down arrow key once and press enter, this should enable the network card again

I tested this on another PC (XP and Vista Ultimate) with display on. If it doesn't work maybe you are at the login screen, therefore you need to press ctrl+alt+del and enter your WHS admin password first.

Hope this helped you !! It worked for me and I learnt to think twice before disabling a network card.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:19 AM
  • fladtheimpaler said:

HP should have implemented some type of security setting that disables the ability to disable the NIC on these headless HP units.

Since users are normally logging in to their servers via Remote Desktop using the Administrator built-in account, there's really no way to block disabling the network adapter.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:47 AM