after back up, problem to open existing files at external drive RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I have 150g external drive with some files ( word...pictures ), after I used this drive to one care back up,

I can not able to open, copy those files from the external drive.

When I disconnect this external drive and re-connect back, I have about 5-10 second allow me to open and copy those

files. But after that, the drive automatic lock it.

Is anybody can help me? Thanks.

Johnny.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:19 PM

All replies

• OneCare should not be locking the drive at all. When OneCare does a backup for the first time to an external drive, it makes a folder and protects that folder. All backups are then written to that folder. Other files on the drive are not impacted, nor is the drive itself locked.

What is the make/model of the drive, how is it connected to the PC, and can you use the restore wizard to view the files from your backup (without actually restoring the files)? I can't think of what might cause the drive to become unavailable to you via Windows Explorer unless you have a hardware problem. Have you tried plugging the drive into another computer or a different USB port on this PC? Have you rebooted the PC?

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for replied to me!

My external drive is made by Buslink. I don't have mode rightnow.

I think my external drive maybe has been convert to MFTS format, becase when I was going to back up, window pop-up

a window asked me ( Is allow to convert to MFTS format ). How to convert back?

I did try to plug in to four different computer.....same problem.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:37 PM
  • During those few seconds that you are able to see and perhaps copy some files from the drive do you see a normal file listing in Explorer? Can you successfully copy any files from it? When you try to view the files after the drive is "locked" what actually happens and what do you see in Explorer?

The format change was to go from FAT32 to NTFS and it was optional. Without a 3rd party program, you can't convert back. Are you logged into the PC as a limited user? As the same UserID that you were logged in when you did the first OneCare backup and also converted the file system?

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I did sucessed copy some pictures out, but some large files is not enouge time to copt out.

after Lock it, I only can see the file "name", I know those files are there.....but can't open it.

I don't have userID at my computer, same computer, same Onecare.....

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Since you don't login with a User name, then it is actually a default user profile.

I'm at a loss to explain what might be happening. If you completely lost access to the drive, I'd say that the conversion was corrupt. If you have done a backup, it isn't corrupt, and since you have been able to copy some small files from the drive, it isn't corrupt.

This is a long shot, by try this KB article and instead of a folder, select the entire external drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:40 AM