Restoring to a new location from Onecare backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hard drive failed and replced.  Thankfully I purchased Onecare to save me from my distater.   Now that I have everything but family videos back in place (after 48 hours), I want to restore the videos.  I have a smaller drive for the failed boot drive and want to transfer the Onecare backup files to a bigger drive.  How do I get this program to restore the folder to a different drive?   I'm sure, since I paid for the program it must be capable of something simple like that.  I doubt my family videos are all gone or that I have to go out and buy yet another hard drive because of a quirky program.  Certainly nothing said while backing up that they would have to be returned to exactly the same location - That doesn't even make sesnse.   Please, how do I restore my pricesless family videos?

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:22 PM

Answers

• OneCare will restore files back to the original location only unless the original location already contains the files you want to restore. In that case it will restore them to a folder it creates at the root of the drive for the restored file conflicts.

If you backed up your files, including the videos, with OneCare per the settings in your backup plan, use the instructions below to select the files to be restored. You need to install OneCare on the new drive after installing Windows and setting up your User ID. Once the files have been restored, you can move them to another drive.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    3. Click Restore files from a local backup.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

1. Open OneCare.
    2. In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.
    4. Click Custom Restore.
    5. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    1. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
      3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
      4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.
    1. Click Restore files.
    2. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• OneCare will restore files back to the original location only unless the original location already contains the files you want to restore. In that case it will restore them to a folder it creates at the root of the drive for the restored file conflicts.

If you backed up your files, including the videos, with OneCare per the settings in your backup plan, use the instructions below to select the files to be restored. You need to install OneCare on the new drive after installing Windows and setting up your User ID. Once the files have been restored, you can move them to another drive.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To restore all files from a backup:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.
    4. Click Express Restore.
    5. Click Restore files.
    6. Click Finish.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

1. Open OneCare.
    4. Click Custom Restore.
    5. To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

–or–

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

1. Click Restore files from backup of another machine.
      2. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

–or–

Restore files from an earlier backup.

1. Click Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer.
      2. Click the location of the backup device, and then click Next.
      3. Click the backup that you want to restore files from.
    1. To restore all files that are no longer on your computer, click Restore all missing files.

–or–

Restore specific types of files.

1. Click Restore files by file type.
      2. Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
      2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
    1. Click Restore files.
    2. Click Finish.

Note

If OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, you won't receive the Restore files option.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I know that my previous reply isn't what you wanted to read. You have another option, too, though it is not easy.
    The backup files are simply .zip files. You can open these files manually with a program such as WinZip and manually extract the files as desired. Larger files may have been split into smaller parts and broken into multiple .zip files. You will need to extract the files, rename the file extensions to .001, .002, .003, etc. and then rejoin them with this utility:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:41 PM
  • ....as you could tell from my first post I was anticipating that that was the solution.  Seems unfortunate and awkward to have a restore program so limited and though I can understand why it would be set that way, the world should revolve around me, my needs and my urgency.  I looked at renaming the zip files and joining but that would have taken me 1,765 days to complete I think so I bought a 1tb drive instead and have re-installed Windows.  Now I can go through the hassle of validating yet again. 
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Yes, as I noted, I didn't think you'd like the answer and the second option *is* painful. I don't know that the world should revolve around you, but what you asked for OneCare restore to do - restore to an alternate location - seems pretty straightforward to me and has been requested before. In fact, for the very reason that you wanted - restore to a smaller drive or new drive with different letter assignment fails in the current configuration.
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:22 AM