none
WHS - What it can do for me as an OS? RRS feed

• Question

• I searched this forum but could not find answer to my questions. If I missed, please provide me the link.
    First, is it a full OS? Can I install SQL Server on it? Does it have IIS?
    If not, then, if I am installing an OEM version myself, do I need to have XP/Vista/Win 7 installed on the box before I install WHS.
    Thanks
    khalique
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:48 AM

Answers

• I searched this forum but could not find answer to my questions. If I missed, please provide me the link.
    First, is it a full OS?

Yes.

Can I install SQL Server on it?

Installing any application on it is unsupported (other than add-ins, which are installed through the WHS Console).  As a matter of fact, logging into the server desktop is unsupported (all admin functions are done through the WHS Console from a client PC).

Does it have IIS?

Yes, but it is already pre-configured for the Remote Access website.

If not, then, if I am installing an OEM version myself, do I need to have XP/Vista/Win 7 installed on the box before I install WHS.

No.  This is a completely self-contained OS.  (FYI, WHS is written on top of SBS 2003.)

Thanks
    khalique

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Khalique Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:00 PM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:10 AM
  • Thanks karia21.
    If IIS is preconfigured, does it mean I cannot use it to install other web apps/ webservices etc?

I suppose you could wipe out everything to do with the Remote Access interface and start over from scratch, but it's (obviously) unsupported and not recommended.  Which pretty much means: if you screw anything up, you're on your own.

As you might have guessed, I am a developer and at times I need to do things at home either testing something, developing for non-profits or just to keep myself abreast with the new technologies. I was thinking if I could use WHS as a server to host my apps and sql server instead of using my local box for that purppose. WHS would have been a perfect solution for me (with other features of WHS) because I cannot afford to buy a Windows server.
    Khalique
    If you're looking for a way to test and develop apps on a full server OS (not just WHS), you should look at getting a TechNet subscription.
    • Marked as answer by Khalique Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:44 AM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

First, is it a full OS?

Yes.

Can I install SQL Server on it?

Installing any application on it is unsupported (other than add-ins, which are installed through the WHS Console).  As a matter of fact, logging into the server desktop is unsupported (all admin functions are done through the WHS Console from a client PC).

Does it have IIS?

Yes, but it is already pre-configured for the Remote Access website.

No.  This is a completely self-contained OS.  (FYI, WHS is written on top of SBS 2003.)

Thanks
    khalique

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Khalique Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:00 PM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:10 AM
  • HI Khalique

WHS is an os in its own right, yes iis is there but preconfigured, as for sql its not there and installing apps like it is not supported, BUT it does work if you plug a kb mouse and vdu in to our whs then it is almost like using SBS2003 so you can install apps like SQL on to it, having said that it does not work with active directory so any apps such as exchange server are out of the question, but there are other apps you can use instead.

Hope this helps

IAN (UK)
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Thanks karia21.
    If IIS is preconfigured, does it mean I cannot use it to install other web apps/ webservices etc? As you might have guessed, I am a developer and at times I need to do things at home either testing something, developing for non-profits or just to keep myself abreast with the new technologies. I was thinking if I could use WHS as a server to host my apps and sql server instead of using my local box for that purppose. WHS would have been a perfect solution for me (with other features of WHS) because I cannot afford to buy a Windows server.
    Khalique
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Thanks Ian.

Can you elaborate on the following:

--BUT it does work if you plug a kb mouse and vdu in to our whs then it is almost like using SBS2003 so you can install apps like SQL on to it...

I am getting the impression that installing sql is possible. Is that right?

And I request a bit more detail on the following, please.

--but there are other apps you can use instead.

Thanks againg for your time and help.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Thanks karia21.
    If IIS is preconfigured, does it mean I cannot use it to install other web apps/ webservices etc?

I suppose you could wipe out everything to do with the Remote Access interface and start over from scratch, but it's (obviously) unsupported and not recommended.  Which pretty much means: if you screw anything up, you're on your own.

As you might have guessed, I am a developer and at times I need to do things at home either testing something, developing for non-profits or just to keep myself abreast with the new technologies. I was thinking if I could use WHS as a server to host my apps and sql server instead of using my local box for that purppose. WHS would have been a perfect solution for me (with other features of WHS) because I cannot afford to buy a Windows server.
    Khalique
    If you're looking for a way to test and develop apps on a full server OS (not just WHS), you should look at getting a TechNet subscription.
    • Marked as answer by Khalique Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:44 AM
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:34 PM