OEM and Ready build systems with no OS RRS feed

• Question

•  

Am a bit confused with the lienceing so best place to ask if the LA allows what am thinking is to post here.

Am I allowed to buy a ready build server (hp) or even a desktop (Bundle pack) and install an OEM lience onto either.  Because I dont like any of the true OEM hardware out there.  The reason why I like a HP server with no OS is that it is build as a server and will last longer then a server then I choose all of the parts.

Hope this makes sence.

Thanks

Kurt

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:02 AM

Answers

• Kurt, there's nothing in the EULA that would prevent you from installing WHS in either of those cases. If you look around, though, especially in the hardware forum, you'll see that some people have found it challenging to get WHS installed successfully on a "real" server.
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:16 AM
  •  

Thanks Ken,

I can build my own but that takes time and alot of research (am one of these people that everything must be fully compbile with each other) Smile

I love the idea of the HP Media Server but its too dear for what your getting plus the 'green' whs hardware is also too dear for the same low specs.  I do like the idea of the 'green' to help the earth.

Looks like am getting the 'real' hp server with no os and the oem of WHS and try to get it install.  I also looked about and you are indeed correct that some people are having problems with the installation of WHS on real servers and some others stated that they had no problem with it.

Hopefully am the same as those small % of people that got no problems.

Thanks again Ken for replying to me

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:00 PM

All replies

• Kurt, there's nothing in the EULA that would prevent you from installing WHS in either of those cases. If you look around, though, especially in the hardware forum, you'll see that some people have found it challenging to get WHS installed successfully on a "real" server.
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:16 AM
  •  

Thanks Ken,

I can build my own but that takes time and alot of research (am one of these people that everything must be fully compbile with each other) Smile

I love the idea of the HP Media Server but its too dear for what your getting plus the 'green' whs hardware is also too dear for the same low specs.  I do like the idea of the 'green' to help the earth.

Looks like am getting the 'real' hp server with no os and the oem of WHS and try to get it install.  I also looked about and you are indeed correct that some people are having problems with the installation of WHS on real servers and some others stated that they had no problem with it.

Hopefully am the same as those small % of people that got no problems.

Thanks again Ken for replying to me

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Kurt, the one thing I get from those threads is that the more people spent on "real" serer hardware, including all the storage bells and whistles, the more problems they had. KISS seems to apply here.

Building your own doesn't need to be expensive or difficult, and it can result in a fairly "green" system. I recently built a WHS system for just over $350 delivered; I selected a number of components on the basis of price (it's a demo system, and I don't want to spend a fortune on it), but I expect that total power consumption at idle is pretty low. I need to dig out my Kill-A-Watt to find out...

If you want "green" a real server is most definitely not the way to go.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 4:17 AM
  • You can green up most anything quite a bit with an 80 PLUS power supply.  www.80plus.org will tell you what that's all about.  My 'KILL A WATT' is showing about 77 watts active.  That will drop a bit when I break down and yank the video card.  Not quite ready to do that.  I still have at least one more drive to add.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:29 AM
  • I agree with Ken. A WHS is not meant to be a top-of-the-line screaming rig and should not cost you a small fortune. I'm using an old Antec PS, a P4 2.53 Ghz with 1gb ram on an old AGP board w/ on-board video and she runs like a top. The most expensive hardware in there are the HDD's and they're nothing to write home about. A couple of 200's a 320 and the system drive is a 80gb. Also, WHS documentation specifically says to NOT use any type of raid setup as well. I think thats where a lot of people are getting install/setup/usage issues.

Backing up over a network is not the fastest way to back up in the first place and to build a screaming fast system will just be overkill. The average home network would never allow it to take advantage of that speed both in regards to HDD speed/throughput and processor speed.

A quad core rig with 2-4gb of ram, high-end video card and a trio of Raptors is complete overkill, IMO. You wouldn't see any more efficency out of your WHS than the hardware I'm using above.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm way off base.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:49 AM
  • Mine is built from scrap with the exception of the power supply and drives.  I have to say I am well pleased.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:38 AM
  • (moving to the hardware forum)
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:31 PM
  • The one thing I would strongly recommend is to buy 1 GB of RAM. I've noticed that servers with only 512 MB are significantly slower at everything. The demo machine I posted about earlier had 512 MB to start (one stick of RAM), but when I added another 512 MB performance improved markedly.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:33 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The one thing I would strongly recommend is to buy 1 GB of RAM. I've noticed that servers with only 512 MB are significantly slower at everything. The demo machine I posted about earlier had 512 MB to start (one stick of RAM), but when I added another 512 MB performance improved markedly.

I have to agree, in looking at task manager it does benefit from more than 512 MB and uses slightly more at times, I've never seen it get close to 768 though, so use 'em if you've got 'em.  The increased memory usage could be due in part to add ins, anyone running barefoot with all media sharing on?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:17 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Kurt, the one thing I get from those threads is that the more people spent on "real" serer hardware, including all the storage bells and whistles, the more problems they had. KISS seems to apply here.

Building your own doesn't need to be expensive or difficult, and it can result in a fairly "green" system. I recently built a WHS system for just over $350 delivered; I selected a number of components on the basis of price (it's a demo system, and I don't want to spend a fortune on it), but I expect that total power consumption at idle is pretty low. I need to dig out my Kill-A-Watt to find out...

If you want "green" a real server is most definitely not the way to go.

Maybe its just me but am lazy because I want everything to match up and dont frankly have the time to do all of that plus I get bored fast, but got a HP server not all the bells an whistles because its not going to be played directly with.  A Green server would be nice in this day and age but hey I dont want to fork over money money to the Green PC company here in the UK that were the first ones to release a whs.  Went for a Intel based server because am more use to Intel and know that they are stable and certian companies round here use only Intel based computers., lol.

If I want I could get the solar panels grant for the green way of going, thank you goverment

Plus lets all get back to the 1st post it was to ask was it ok to legally install WHS to a real server and Ken answered that.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:47 AM