none
Is there a way to download stock quotes to Money after Jan 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• OK I've given up on Quicken.  It's much too painful to relearn everything I already know in Money.  (editorial comment: How in the WORLD did Quicken survive and Money did not?).  I've seen a post or two alluding to ways to work arounds for downloading from financial institutions.  Is there a way to get stock quotes?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:42 PM

All replies

• I installed Sunset Money on a test machine and imported my existing database. I then turned off all online references in that database so it would not be trying to get out.

I installed the python scripts found at

http://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/ofx-automation

Since my broker was Fidelity, I had to chance my indices to those supported by Yahoo (which is where the scripts get the quotes). It was, as is noted in the documentation) necessary to create a dummy account (called Ticker using Dummybroker). I then saved this database with a different name.

I now can download my Fidelity transactions and get quotes manually and then import them into Money.

Once this was working, I moved the no-online database to my normal machine and tested it against my online database. I am running in parallel with them, but all appears to be working. If the end of month transactions download correctly, I may use only the no-online database even before Jan 2011.

If all you want is a means to download quotes (which can also be imported into Money) the java script located at

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/java-app-to-update-quotes/

is easy to install and use. Works like a charm.

HTHs

Mike

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Ideally I would like this process automated, and able to read ISIN stock numbers worldwide - not just US stock numbers. Would it not be possible to write a windows program that works in the background and feeds prices from Yahoo into MSMoney?
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:45 PM
  • IF you knew something about the API interfaces into Money, this would surely be possible to code.

Microsoft has stonewalled Money users, refusing to provide any assistance to anybody (except Intuit, David Kendall at Ultrasoft and similar) with this. They claim liability concerns and previous contractual obligations to (banks? others whose code they licensed? the government?) somebody very vague but sufficient to trump any legitimate interest of the Money user community.

Some other users over the years have claimed reverse engineering some of these interfaces. None of them have provided any demonstrable proof to other users.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:31 AM
  • Looks super - I plan to try this and the one below Thanks!
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:35 PM
  • I may have found a simpler answer !

Set up a portfolio on Google Finance, it offers a ofx download. UK share prices are spot on, some unit trusts are ok, other come in as zero as they are not being updated on Morningstar for some reason.

• Edited by qwakuk Saturday, August 7, 2010 9:57 PM spelling
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 9:56 PM
  • This seems like a brilliantly simple yet effective answer... does it work?

Do you put in your number of shares to Google Finance and then import, or, do you have a dummy account in Money with the same funds but zero shares and just update prices??

I'm not trying it myself because my MS Money Deluxe 2006 still updates fund prices.... but I know I need to do something by ( I think ) Jan 2011.

Monday, August 9, 2010 10:42 PM
  • I was very enthusiastic about this easy solution, but it doesn't seem to work.

I tried it with several mutual funds.... and the prices all download as zero.
    I redid it with just stocks.... and they still come across with a price of zero. Buy prices come through, but not the daily price.

I wish I could make it work.... any suggestions appreciated!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:10 AM
  • I may have found a simpler answer !

Set up a portfolio on Google Finance, it offers a ofx download. UK share prices are spot on, some unit trusts are ok, other come in as zero as they are not being updated on Morningstar for some reason.

Yes no prices, my bad.

However, had an email from Google requesting ideas for new features etc and requested this.

Heres the link, please bombard them with request and we may get lucky!

http://productideas.appspot.com/#25/e=23f4c4

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:35 PM
  • I have found the PocketSense scripts to work well for me with Money Plus Sunset. This includes bringing in quotes. Note that you will want to have a non-real account to read the quotes into. That account will appear to have zero quantities of each stock or fund that you are fetching quotes for.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Cal,

Can you give a "play by play" of how you did it. I am not a techie, just a retired accountant. Also what do I need to do with Moneysense? I don't own the product. Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:59 PM
  • I have found the Moneysense scripts to work well for me with Money Plus Sunset. This includes bringing in quotes. Note that you will want to have a non-real account to read the quotes into. That account will appear to have zero quantities of each stock or fund that you are fetching quotes for.

I have gone totally to the scripts and have turned off all online access in the database. It works equally well with either Plus or Sunset. I.e., it is not necessary to install Sunset, simply turn off all online settings and start using the scripts.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Here's another alternative that uses Java instead of Python

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/java-app-to-update-quotes/
    Friday, September 24, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Cal,

Can you give a "play by play" of how you did it. I am not a techie, just a retired accountant. Also what do I need to do with PocketSense? I don't own the product. Thanks,

Steve

http://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/p2 has the procedure. The quotes list, which you can modify, is at the bottom of the sites.dat file.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Here's another alternative that uses Java instead of Python

Keep in mind that this is no longer being supported by anyone. Pocketsense has replaced it. Also, the java app does a great job in finding quotes except it is not very flexible (changing servers and so on). Finally, some of us have run into ofx format problems that are resolved by manually editing the ofx file before it will load into money.

Regards,

Mike

Friday, September 24, 2010 12:58 PM
  • I have read these posts with great interest - appears to be the lifeboat we all need to step into.

However, has anyone managed to get UK Mutual fund prices from either the Java or Python solutions?  Appears to work only for listed stocks in the UK...

Thanks!

Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:07 PM
  • I've had the same problem - non-US funds do not work.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:03 AM
  • In case somebody is able and motiviated to work on your desires, you might want to post where those non-US fund quotes, that you would like to bring into Money, are available.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:28 PM
  • They are on MSN UK, Yahoo finance UK etc.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:23 AM
  • You can point the pocketsense scripts to uk.finance.yahoo.com in the sites.dat config

it will download UK stocks with the .L postfix just like the US site does.

I had a quick play with an M&G mutual fund :GB0030938582.L notation didn't work, whereas it's symbol of 1405574.BE did. I think it will depend on the funds ticker - I have a couple that will not update. (note these may even work on the US site)

Friday, November 19, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Sounds very positive!

Would you mind sharing the config settings you used in the sites.dat ?

Sorry for being slow, but I'm not able to intuitively see how to set up the correct url and get, for example, a UK mutual fund.

An example would be really helpful!
    THANKS

Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Bit of a supplementary, sorry!

It would appear, as Ouroboros100 says that quotes in the GBxxxxxxxxx.L format do not work.  Given that's the predominant ticker format for UK Mutual funds, we appear to have a problem here, unless there's a clever way of either getting them accepted by the pocketsense app, or finding an alternative set of tickers...

Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:30 AM
  • In reply to Cal's very sensible suggestion, I think what we're after is:

UK Fund prices (typically ending in xxx.L) to be sourced from uk.finance.yahoo.com

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:48 PM
  • You mean "GB0030938582.L" and "1405574.BE" are the same mutual fund? and that GB0030938582.L is the ticker symbol used in MsMoney UK? In that case, I think a simple "alias" file will do, yes? Something like:

GB0030938582.L 1405574.BE

Quotes tool will use 1405574.BE to query for data. But write the OFX file using GB0030938582.L

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:19 PM
  • You can point the pocketsense scripts to uk.finance.yahoo.com in the sites.dat config

it will download UK stocks with the .L postfix just like the US site does.

I had a quick play with an M&G mutual fund :GB0030938582.L notation didn't work, whereas it's symbol of 1405574.BE did. I think it will depend on the funds ticker - I have a couple that will not update. (note these may even work on the US site)

I have put up a prototype replacement for quotes.py in PocketSense. I found that Money Plus Deluxe Plus only saved the first 12 characters of a symbol when looking a the details for a fund. I don't know if it is the same with UK Money 2005. So I did that in the file I put up.  The file I put up at this time only modifies the treatment of funds and not stocks.

If somebody wants to experiment with that, I put up the file with directions into http://www.speedyshare.com/files/26466813/QUO_PY3A.ZIP

Be sure to back up your existing files before trying this-- both PocketSense quote.py and your Money file.  I did not pay attention to what currency is reported. Comment where you like.

Currency issues need to be thought thru. This is experimental software. GB0030938582.L for example, appears to be reported in euros. If your other quotes were in GBP, then special considerations would have to be used to make the quotes make sense.

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:45 PM
  • I have a test build of hleOfxQuotes.jar that might be of used to user with UK Mutual Fund: support for ft.com as a quote source (via translating ft.com CSV file into *.ofx file). You register with ft.com, create a portfolio, add funds relevant to you, export to csv file. Then use hleOfxQuotes.jar to translate *.csv to *.ofx. More details is here: http://www.le.com/~hle/out/hleOfxQuotes/test/Build_20110124_001/readme.txt. I did a quick look on ft.com and GB0030938582 is available as: http://funds.ft.com/UnlistedFundFactsheet.aspx?mid=MGJPNA

• Proposed as answer by rangdaa Monday, February 14, 2011 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:12 AM
  • I have a test build of hleOfxQuotes.jar that can retrieve Google's portfolio data via Google Finance API. Then translate the portfolio data into *.ofx. More detail is at: http://www.le.com/~hle/out/hleOfxQuotes/test/Build_20110124_001/readme.txt.

Best,

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:15 AM
  • I have a test build of hleOfxQuotes.jar ........... You register with ft.com, create a portfolio, add funds relevant to you, export to csv file. Then use hleOfxQuotes.jar to translate *.csv to *.ofx....

Absolutely brillant!! 

I am a UK user.  I set up a portfolio at ft.com exported it to a folder, used hleOfxQuotes (setting GBP as the base currency) to import it to MS Money 2002 and it all works perfectly!  Thank you very much indeed.

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:43 AM
  • This is so nearly perfect. I love the hleOfxQuotes gizmo (catchy name!) and it works perfectly with ft.com

The only think that would make it perfect is if I could modify the Yahoo upload to put the share price in pence instead of pounds. The first time I did it I became an instant multi-millionaire. It was disappointing to find it was the software...

Thankyou so much for doing stuff like this. You gave an old product some more life. 

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:55 PM
  • beljames,

In general the Yahoo quote server does not provide currency in its returned data so it is not straightforward to work that out. I think the solution eventually will be another column in the mapper.csv file to let user specify

• For a given security, the currency as provided by the quote source.

This will give user an option to say: for FIMGC the currency is GBX

The non-USD and/or multi-currency is sort of my 'bind spot' (I don't use it) so more concrete example will be most helpful. In particular,

• Your MM based currency
    • Symbol used to look up in Yahoo
    • What price did Yahoo returned?
    • What price did MM has after import
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Once you know the currency, what do you do with it? Here are the two posibilities that I see:

1. Convert to the main currency and supply the converted price with the OFX file with the other quotes.

2. If, for example, the main currency is USD and the second currency is GBP, create a different OFX file with GBP currency, and have a different account number (such as GBP123) to let Money send that OFX file to the GBP quotes account.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I was planning to do #1. This is base on an observation (of limited samples) that for OFX import, MM treat all incoming prices as of main currency. Obviously, that bring it own set of problem:

. Need exchange rate (exchageRate1) at the point of generating the OFX

. Introduce inaccuracy if there is a mis-match of exchangeRate1 and MM's exchange rage (exchangeRate2). Holding values will get out of whack, when MM goes ahead and convert back from main currency to security's specific currency.

Then again, I might just dont' know what the hell I am talking about (which is not too far from the truth :-)). I probably need to create a VM with 2005UK installed to get some hand-on.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hi

I am using Money 2005 UK

My currency is GBP. I Edit->Currency-> UK Pounds. I then go into the Yahoo tab and ask the app to return, say BA.L, and it does so happily, stating BAE Systems at 350.8000 GBP.

When I import this to MM it imports the price as £380 rather than £3.80. I can edit the OFX, but that's a bit of a heavy workaround.

Tonight I set up an FT.com list for my portfolio and was very pleased to see all of the various unit trusts etc loading nicely. I then used your app to create the OFX file, which it did very well.

My final stumbling block was not with the app, but with Money.

The statement imports well to my Dummy Account and MM jumps to the statement import page. Once the dummy account is clicked, you get a 'review investment activity' page. There is then a 'Investment verification' box that pops up and allows you to allocate the imported items to the existing investments. All works very nicely for my equities, but it does not list any of the Managed Funds. Arrrgh.

Does anyone know why this is, before I rebuild all of my funds as equities?!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Couple of points:

Let's deal with ft.com first since that is likely the best path for you. The tool needs a little bit of help when dealing with managed funds. In short, it needs to know which one is managed funds (they are needed to be written out different than equities).

To do so

Regarding Yahoo, as you have observed, the price is actually in GBX but there is just NOT enough information coming back for the tool to right thing. It just does not know so it assume the currency is USD. I recommend stay with ft.com for now.

See also: https://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:25 AM
  • I apologise for butting in, however, I went through a similar exercise with Excel some time ago. 

I have a portfolio spreadsheet which uses Web data queries to obtain price and performance information for both UK equities and Unit Trusts/OEICS. By convention, price indicators are either GBP or GBX for UK holdings.

GBP - This is UK pounds and the figure is already formatted to pounds and pence. 

GBX - This is in UK pence and needs dividing by 100 to get the pounds and pence value.  

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:13 AM
  • I am using MM2003 UK.  I am downloading from ft.com, and all the tickers update into a dummy broker account, and I get sent to the download report to reconcile.

At that stage I get "These positions were reported by your broker on your statement, dated . "  ( i.e the date appears as a full stop )  

When I Finish the reconciliation, there is no error, and the prices listed in the Review Investment Holdings window are fine.  Problem is that the real holdings are not updating to match.  Is there some step that I have missed?  Do I have to do something to force MM into offline mode ?

Any help gratefully received.   It would be nice to get this working, especially as the feed via ft.com can include funds that were never available from the MS servers.

As an aside, I also use the Excel add-in MSN Stock Quotes  (MSNStockQuote() ).  At least for GB prices this appears to have frozen at the same point that the service for MM was withdrawn.  No  idea if this is intentional or not.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Can you send me a copy of the generated OFX file to hleofxquotes at gmail dot com

I will take a look.

See also (if you have not already)

http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Thanks Hung Le,

I had not seen http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers. 

Now that I have used the settings there, it is updating.  Given it  now seems OK, I have not sent the OFX.  Let me know if it is still relevant.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Hung Le

All working now, and I have a very complicated set of obscure funds and shares. It is the first time I have ever got Money to import some of these (as they were never listed on MSN:UK). So not only have you managed to repair lost functionality, you have actually enhanced it!!

I can't thank you enough. 

James

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:24 PM
  • I came up with a macro script solution to do this. It isn't eloquent, but it pulls data from Yahoo Finance. Tested with UK / Ireland shares.

Versions for Money 2003 & 2005

Be VERY sure you read the instructions properly as it may take you a couple of tries to get it setup correctly.

http://camie.dyndns.org/qlink/?id=86

• Edited by C-Amie Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:32 PM version clarification
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hi, I'm from Sri Lanka & use Microsoft money to manage my portfolios. The problem I face is both MSN & Yahoo does not have Sri Lankan stock market (CSE) data. Only bloomberg has it. I can create a spreadsheet to update real time using the feed I get from my broker.

Is it possible to import the real time stock prices in the Excel sheet to Microsoft money. 

If you can help me it's really appreciated.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:04 PM
  • You can do this indirectly via hleofxquotes support for ft.com

See: http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/QuoteSources

•   You convert your Excel into the ft.com's CSV format
    • Then use the ft.com quote source to generate the *.ofx file and import into MsMoney

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Sorry for the trouble.

ft.com itself has Sri Lankan stock market (CSE) data in it. I'm not familiar with programming. Can you please explain me how to import these data to Microsoft Money?

Stock name is in the format ex - NTB.N0000:CSE in ft.com

Thanks for your help.

• Edited by Dimu Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:00 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:16 AM
  • Actually, I just re-read your original post. You asked "Is it possible to import the real time stock prices in the Excel sheet to Microsoft money."

• If you need to update multiple time during the date (to satisfy the "real time" part), then the scheme I am going to propose will NOT work.

What version of Money do you have?

In general,

• Download hleofxquote (http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/downloads/list)
    • Register with ft.com (free) and create a portfolio. Add NTB.N0000:CSE
    • Download your portfolio (will save as a *.csv file)
    • Start hleofxquotes, switch to ft.com quote source, import the above *.csv file

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:30 PM
  • In general,

I did these steps correctly.

Then saved the downloaded results.csv to c:\

Added this part to sites.dat

<site>

SiteName   : ft.com

AcctType   : INVSTMT    #investment

fiorg      : ft.com

fid        :

url        : c://results.csv

bankid     :

brokerid   : ft.com

appid      :

appver     :

mininterval: 

timeOffset :

</site>

Then when I run it, get the error as

FT.COM : ftc : Getting records since: 20110912

** An ERROR occurred sending POST request to results.csv

Exception type: <class 'stock.gaierror'>

Exception Val : [Errno 11004] getaddrinfo failed

An online error occurred while testing the new account.

results.csv is like this

Name, Symbol: Exchange, Exchange, Last Price, Currency for Last Price, Quantity, Today's % Value Change, Current Value, Currency for Current Value, Total Gain/Loss, Currency for Total Gain/Loss

"Nations Trust Bank PLC","NTB.N0000:CSE","CSE","62.90","LKR","1,000.00","0.00%","62,900.00","LKR","-23,074.40","LKR"

What's the wrong I have made?

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:43 AM
  • You are mixing usage. The sites.dat is for pocketsense. There are two different tools:

. hleofxquotes

. pocketsense

To be more explicit to use hleofxquotes tool

. Make sure you have java installed

. Once you have downloaded the *.jar fille, double-click on it to start hleofxquotes tool

. That will start up a window with multiple tabs. Click on ft.com

. Click on Import CVS file to bring up a file browser to choose the *.csv file you download from ft.com

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Ok. it worked.

Thank you very much for the time you spent to help me.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Have you found a solution? I am using the international edition of ms money 2005 in Australia & am having the same problem, although broker statement date coming up as 30/11/99 rather than full stop. Prices are importing to the money program but not updating the real stocks
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Have you found a solution? I am using the international edition of ms money 2005 in Australia & am having the same problem, although broker statement date coming up as 30/11/99 rather than full stop. Prices are importing to the money program but not updating the real stocks

I suspect that the quote problem you see is related to the quotes for Australian stocks that the Moneycentral users are seeing. We expect that to be fixed, but I have no timeframe.

You could use one of the programs mentioned on this thread to give quotes in the interim. There is some setup effort.

Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:15 PM
  • hleofxquotes tool works great for US stocks, but there's a problem for Canadian stock quotes. From Yahoo quotes Canadian quotes are in the format "XYZ.TO" or "XYZ.V", while Money has "CA:XYZ" format, which is same as MSN Money web site. When importing Canadian quotes, each stock has to be synchronized one by one, i.e. Money shows a prompt asking about changing the symbol for each Canadian stock.
    Friday, January 4, 2013 3:18 AM
  • hleofxquotes tool works great for US stocks, but there's a problem for Canadian stock quotes. From Yahoo quotes Canadian quotes are in the format "XYZ.TO" or "XYZ.V", while Money has "CA:XYZ" format, which is same as MSN Money web site. When importing Canadian quotes, each stock has to be synchronized one by one, i.e. Money shows a prompt asking about changing the symbol for each Canadian stock.

For future reference, a mapper.csv file can be used to map quoteSourceName (XYZ.TO) to msMoneyName (CA:XYZ). See

http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/mapperDotCsv

Friday, January 4, 2013 11:11 AM
  • For future reference, a mapper.csv file can be used to map quoteSourceName (XYZ.TO) to msMoneyName (CA:XYZ). See

http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/mapperDotCsv

Thanks for the prompt response, I just figured out that after posting the first message. However, the mapper.csv content did not show in the mapper tab, which means the tool did not read it. How can I "make" the tool read mapper.csv?

• Edited by namsilat Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:46 AM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Couple of things to check

Make sure the mapper.csv file is the 'current working directory'. You can find the 'current working directory' by looking at the output of menu item

Help -> About

... look for the value of

Directory:

The other thing that is not intuitive (some might even call it a bug). The mapper.csv only get loaded when you fetch the price update. So do a price update once to the "Prices" tab populated, now check the "Mapper" tab to see if your mapper.csv file is loaded. 

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Ok that was stupid of me, after clicking update price the mapper stuff appeared. It now works great, thanks very much :]
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Can someone send me a copy of the mapper.csv file as i am trying the prog on Win 7 64 bit and it pulls in the prices from FT.com ok, but not the mapper file
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:49 AM
  • See: http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/mapperDotCsv

and a sample mapper.csv file at: http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/downloads/list

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:27 AM