Windows Live OneCare ended, now computer almost totally useless. RRS feed

• Question

• My Live One Care subscription ended a short time ago. Now I cannot open any program at all without the system hanging. I can't get the modem or WiFi runnign, the USB's don't respond, iTunes won't launch. Windows Explorer sometimes will let me look in files. I can just about open a media file in Real Player or Win Media Player for instance, but if I touch anything like adjust the view or even drag the window open it crashes. Back Up and Restore function from the control panel just hangs too. After a lengthy wait I get a error displayed saying One Care could not run. I have tried everything I can think off. I have tried uninstalling One Care, but all the unistall attempts end up hanging. I want to reboot the system to an earlier clock point, but as I say the back up and restore function doesn't run. I'm basically stuffed at the moment.

NOTE since I posted this on other Live forums, and was directed here I have tried safe mode, which will run the uninstall program, but it says I must run in normal mode to unistall OneCare. I have looked at the back up and restore, and found that it was turned OFF. I haven't done this, as I've never looked at it before, and understand that the default setting is ON. I'm very worried about this.

Lawrence
    Oh and yes this was sent from another machine from work.Report as Abuse

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies