CRM 2011: database replication question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a requirement where I need to replicate data between different crm organizations. I know how to configure database replication and I have found this greate resource http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10151 that describe sharing data between different crm organizations.

But I'm little bit confused about which tables should be selected for replications, I need to share all the data between the two organization (I need it to be a merge replication so that the data will go from ORg A to ORg B and vice versa), but I don't need to replicate customizations. I have a third environment that will be used for devlopment then I will import solutions to both organizations later

I know most of table thant should be replicated such as: AccountBase, AccountExtensionBase, etc... but there is some unknown tables 

If someone could guide me exactly to the table that contains the data and that should be replicated it would be appreciated.

Waiting for your suggestions :0

Thanks and best regards...

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:20 AM

Answers

• First of all, using merge replication would be unsupported as it modifies the CRM SQL table structure outside of CRM. From page 11 of the whitepaper you reference: 'Merge Replication or any data-level multi-master replication solution should not be used since it may leave the CRM system in an inconsistent state'

If you do decide to use transactional replication, then it's your choice which entities you want to replicate. As a starting point, almost all entities have a table called <logicalname>Base and <logicalname>ExtensionBase and you'd need to replicate them both

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Mostafa,

Assuming the both the organisation have same table structure .

i.e. there isnt different schema change of table between both the organisation

you can do replication for most of the Data Entity and Custom entity which are common to both the ORG

, you can leave away organisation specific entity

and even  table which contain configuration such as user privellages etc...

hth

dkay

If the problem is resolved, we would appreciate a post explaining the resolution and mark the post answered and close the thread.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Would you please provide more details ?
    Such as Entities names nad what to replication for and what to leave.

I know that Tables like AccountBase and Account ExtensionBase should be replicated but there exist some unknown tables

Best regards...

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi

Did this help?

Please make sure to mark as answer to the response that helped you get through. This will help others with similar problem identify the answer and also close this thread as resolved.

Thanks

Dkay

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:45 PM
  • It would be apprecited if you read my above question and tried to answer it
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:48 PM
  • First of all, using merge replication would be unsupported as it modifies the CRM SQL table structure outside of CRM. From page 11 of the whitepaper you reference: 'Merge Replication or any data-level multi-master replication solution should not be used since it may leave the CRM system in an inconsistent state'

If you do decide to use transactional replication, then it's your choice which entities you want to replicate. As a starting point, almost all entities have a table called <logicalname>Base and <logicalname>ExtensionBase and you'd need to replicate them both

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hello.

I have two server with two databases that I'd like to keep in sync. One is production and other is DR. Normally all the users update primary database. But we conduct DR test two times a year. In this case all the users work from another office and update DR server. So before the test we need to synchronize DR with Prod so it has exactly the same data. After the test we need to bring all the changes to Prod server.

Can I  set-up bi-directional transactional replication  the kind when you can update the publisher or the subscriber? Does CRM support it? Where can I find the whitepaper? 

Thanks a lot.

Lana

Lana Feldman

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:31 PM
  • I think you need to setup a one direction synchronization from Production to test environment so that the data in test is the same as production before performing test...and after the test you can export the changes in a solution and install it in the production

Hope this help with your problem

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Mostafa,

I am not going to have any "configuration" changes. Only user's notes, new accounts and things like that. Importing a solution will not do it, right?

Lana Feldman

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Right, but may I ask in case of updating some data, why do you really need a test environment ?

Regards..

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:24 PM
  • It's not test. The second server is DR server. It must have exact copy of production data. When we conduct DR exercise, our users use DR server just for that day. After the DR exercise, we go back to primary location and the server there has to have all the changes.

Thanks

Lana Feldman

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Actually I don't understand what DR means, however if you need to conduct this server only twice a year, I think a SQL server backup will do the job for you

Sorry for the missunderstanding

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Sorry for not being clear. DR-Disaster Recovery. Basically it's a secondary server that has to be "hot stand by" in another location. It's very complicated and time- consuming to restore. It requires to import organization twice. Are there any other options? 

Lana Feldman

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:40 PM