none
0 KB Files Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue where files on a Windows file share where files are turning to 0 KB file size. File types affected are .aep, .png, .mov, .tif, .exr, .pkf, .wav, .mp4. This has been an ongoing issue and the number of files affected seems to be increasing more rapidly. Virus/Malware scans do not produce positive scan results, chkdsk tools do not find any bad sectors on the volume (12 disks, Raid 6 with hot spare, NTFS file system), there are no physical disk issues being reported, and permission checks show correct permissions on all file/folders checked. It is almost as if the meta-data is being lost or stripped from the files.

Initial troubleshooting pointed towards the backup solution we had in place, but backups were stopped and the issue continued. The share is an extremely large volume (32 TB) with roughly 25 TB of data (well over 1.2 million files) and is used as a repository for video files (raw, rendered, compiled, etc). Only a hand full of users access this data, and their computers (mostly Apple machines) have been checked for viruses/malware, none found. 

The hardware is a DELL NX3230 server with WIN 2016 Server Standard and I am beginning to wonder if there is there is a limitation on Windows manages files/folders that might be the cause. I have heard there can be issues with using Windows to manage over 1,000,000 files/folders, but cannot find this documented anywhere except through blogs where others have written about issues they have had to resolve when exceeding this many files/folders, although none have documented anything specific about seeing 0 KB files.

Has anyone seen or experienced an issue like this? How was it resolved or what work-around did you go with?

Thank you,

WLL 

• Edited by ABN Admin Friday, May 10, 2019 8:32 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 8:27 PM

All replies