none
Forums recognition points decreased by more than 1500 points RRS feed

• Question

• After the forums upgrade my points have decreased without any reason while the other users points are the same as they were earlier before the upgrade.

I had earned over 8500 (as far as I can remember) but surely they were around this figure as I had 4 medals which come up after 7000 points.

Right now my points are decreased to 6950 which is quite frustrating.

Has anyone faced this after the upgrade?

Abdul Rafay - MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    blog: http://abdulrafaysbiztalk.wordpress.com/
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:30 PM

Answers

• The key difference is that points are no longer awarded just for posting a reply to a thread. It used to be two points for a reply. I think the reply points were deducted from each of us.

Personally, I think that no reward for making an effort to help is a bit unfair, but I realize there were some who abused the situation by firing off many useless/irrelevant replies just to get points. Now, we are pretty much at the mercy of others to judge our replies as helpful or as answers to get points. Considering that OP's often don't mark helpful replies, I'm very thankful that the moderators in the forums where I post are very conscientious about marking answers when OP's don't ;-)

Regardless, we're all under the same system.

• Marked as answer by Abdul Rafay Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:33 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:17 PM

All replies

• Yes I've experienced this however the new points system works differently than the old system.  Everyone is affected by this therefore your standing on the forums remains the same. 
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:01 PM
  • I lost 7K of points. If you check 'Browse Forums Users' you will see that some users lost even more. Say, I was on the 8th place and now the user who was in front of me with 94K something points went down to 75K.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

• Edited by Naomi N Monday, July 18, 2011 3:52 AM
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:24 PM
  • I lost 7K of points. If you check 'Browse Forums Users' you will see that some users lost even more. Say, I was on the 8th place and now the user who was in front of me with 94 something points went down to 75.

My blog

Ouch!  I lost 3K.
    Jeff Wharton

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:43 AM
  • The key difference is that points are no longer awarded just for posting a reply to a thread. It used to be two points for a reply. I think the reply points were deducted from each of us.

Personally, I think that no reward for making an effort to help is a bit unfair, but I realize there were some who abused the situation by firing off many useless/irrelevant replies just to get points. Now, we are pretty much at the mercy of others to judge our replies as helpful or as answers to get points. Considering that OP's often don't mark helpful replies, I'm very thankful that the moderators in the forums where I post are very conscientious about marking answers when OP's don't ;-)

Regardless, we're all under the same system.

• Marked as answer by Abdul Rafay Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:33 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Simply put, the new system is 1. points for posting stuff the community finds valuable 2. achievements for effort. So replies in in the #2 spot in a series of bronze, silver and gold medals. If someone replies a lot, they'll get a rare gold achievement for their effort. 
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:31 AM
    Answerer
  • Simply put, the new system is 1. points for posting stuff the community finds valuable 2. achievements for effort. So replies in in the #2 spot in a series of bronze, silver and gold medals. If someone replies a lot, they'll get a rare gold achievement for their effort. 
    Community Forums Program Manager

This seems to contradict this reply from Sean Jenkin:

If the replies you provided weren't the answers to the questions, then you'll have those old "2 points per reply" removed.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/Profile/thread/22706cb6-7a33-4e49-a24d-986d2481badc

So do we continue you get points awarded for replies or don't we?

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:51 AM
  • > Ouch!  I lost 3K.

I about 6K.

If you use the NNTP Bridge, you can still read the old scores in the x-comments headers ;)
    But maybe they do not change any longer...

Martin Richter -- MVP for VC++ [Germany] -- http://blog.m-ri.de
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Jeff,

This is very simple. For replies you don't get points anymore, but they count towards achievements. For answers you get 10 points and for 'quick' answers you get 20. For each helpful vote you get 5 points as before.

My blog
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Thanks for the explanation Naomi
    Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Whoops.  Fixed
    Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:36 PM
  • I make a correction. If you quickly answer a question and the OP marks it, you get 20 points. But if moderator marks it because the OP abandoned the thread, you get 15 points.  

My blog
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:35 AM
  • I make a correction. If you quickly answer a question and the OP marks it, you get 20 points. But if moderator marks it because the OP abandoned the thread, you get 15 points.  

My blog

Thanks Naomi.

Where are you finding all this information :-)

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:36 AM
  • I'm just watching the pattern my points are increasing :)

My blog
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Clever :-)
    Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:07 AM
  • Wow, you actually watch your points? if the question pool dry up here there are (almost) unlimited supply of questions on other forum  sites...that is, if you read/write Chinese...

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:48 PM
  • :)) Nope, the only two languages I can read / answer are English and Russian (I do sometimes answer in Russian SQL forums). My Hebrew is very limited and doesn't allow me to read/write.

BTW, I noticed that I miss some activities and points after the latest activities were restored. That's unfortunate...

Say, did you voted my answers helpful here? I see no record of this in my activities and no points increase either.

My blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Nope I usually do not vote, maybe I should do that more often to help people get the points they deserve when the thread starter does not mark answers. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:39 PM
  • BTW, I only got 10 points by answering quickly in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/7d0e4239-4c3a-48c1-82ac-f1f82cb24b5c

although this was a rather quick answer considering that the specs were not very clear at the beginning.

My blog
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:28 PM