Validation complete, still says I have 29 days to activate Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't understand why, but the product key for my Windows Vista CD was put on a sticker on my computer (which was peeled off years ago), rather than with the Windows Vista Home Premium CD itself.  Anyway my computer was running very slowly for a while so I used the CD to completely re-install Windows onto my computer so I could start fresh, but I didn't use the activation key because I couldn't find it.  Now it's saying I have 29 days to activate Windows so I click on that and choose to buy a new product key online because nothing else is working.

It brought me to this validation process which would validate whether or not my Microsoft product was genuine, so I went with it which brought up the following:

"Thank you for completing the validation process and for using genuine Microsoft software.

By using genuine Microsoft software, you can be confident that you will have access to the latest features, security, and support, which will help to improve your productivity and expand the capabilities of your computer.

You will also have access to new innovations and offerings available only to genuine Microsoft software customers."

Now this obviously didn't do a thing because it's still telling me I have 29 days to activate Windows, on top of that this "Buy a new product key online" option was clearly pointless because nowhere does it show that I could buy a new product key, all it's doing is validating my Windows over and over, nothing else I can see that'll help.

P.S. I don't get why the ____ Microsoft has to make everything as difficult as possible, can't find ANYWHERE where I can buy a new product key.

Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hello LynxGuy,

In this case, it wasn't Microsoft's idea to do it this way.  It was the Large Computer Manufacturers.  They demanded that Microsoft make it so that when a customer buys a computer that comes with Windows pre-installed, the customer would not need to Activate it.

So Microsoft was forced to develope the OEM SLP/COA SLP key system. 

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the OEM Bios Flag and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)  COA SLP: This is the Product key that you saw on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key and is the Backup to the OEM SLP key.  If the interaction between the OEM SLP key and the OEM Bios Flag is interupted for any reason (Installed a new Bios firmware, for example) all the customer needs to do is change the product key to the COA SLP key and Activate by Phone.

I am pretty sure that Microsoft wouldn't have done it this way if it hadn't been for the OEMs. It's much simpler to just use one product key and have the customer activate it when they got the computer home.

At this point it sounds like your OEM SLP key is no longer able to see the OEM Bios Flag. In that scenario, I would tell you to change the produt key to the COA SLP key, but it soulds like you have lost that key.  So at this point, I can only refer you to this support doc: KB811224 "How to identify, locate, and replace a product keyhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:56 PM