"Not connected to Server" RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed a new system on my WHS network which has been reliably backing up 2 systems every night for 6 months.  When I come in to my office in the morning the new system (NEW) shows a greyed out icon with the message "Not connected to server".  And no backup has occured.  I can access the internet and the WHS Console and both other systems remain connected.  The other two systems both are backed up.  I have tried to perform manual backups during the day and have only had success backing up all 4 drives on my new system twice out of 10 tries.  Frequently, the system comes back saying that the network connection has been lost.

I have installed Power Pack 1 on the server and reinstalled the connector SW on all of the clients.  Why might this one new system refuse to be backed up automatically and why would it stop in the middle of a manual backup and lose connection to the server when I remain connected to the internet?

Thanks for whatever suggestions you might have.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

•  DGraybill wrote:

Lara, thanks so much for your response but I believe that I am resolved having followed the advice above.  I linked to Connect and didn't quite understand what to do.  I could not access the toolkit either.  HELP!!

Thanks again for your help.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I deeplinked. I'm sorry. Users who are not already in the beta should register on Connect here and then apply for the WHS beta here. You can download the toolkit here but it doesn't provide our handy cheatsheet. So generally, Connect is the best option.

Thanks and I'm glad to hear that things are working for you.

Lara Jones [MS]

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On this computer, have you checked to ensure that there isn't any power saving settings on it's network card?

One of the things to do on your problem computer, is run chkdsk /r on each of the drives. The backup program will fail if it encounters any errors.

Also, check the logs on both the server and the client, to see what they say about the backup.

Colin

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:53 PM
  • In Event Viewer, Application log for both the PC and WHS, there are errors recorded and marked with a red color icon.  Look for events that has to deal with Home Server or Connector, they may provide additional troubleshooting hints.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:46 PM
  •  DGraybill wrote:

I have recently installed a new system on my WHS network which has been reliably backing up 2 systems every night for 6 months.  When I come in to my office in the morning the new system (NEW) shows a greyed out icon with the message "Not connected to server".  And no backup has occured.  I can access the internet and the WHS Console and both other systems remain connected.  The other two systems both are backed up.  I have tried to perform manual backups during the day and have only had success backing up all 4 drives on my new system twice out of 10 tries.  Frequently, the system comes back saying that the network connection has been lost.

I have installed Power Pack 1 on the server and reinstalled the connector SW on all of the clients.  Why might this one new system refuse to be backed up automatically and why would it stop in the middle of a manual backup and lose connection to the server when I remain connected to the internet?

Thanks for whatever suggestions you might have.

Hi,

Can you file a bug on Connect for this issue? In addition, can you attach the CAB files? You can use the toolkit to collect the cabs as long as you are running x86. If you are running x64, please collect the logs from the following locations:

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Windows Home Server

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Apologies for delayed response but I was called out of town.

Appears that problem was that drives had never been fully formatted, only a quick format.  After running chkdsk /r on each drive AND ensuring that the system was NOT enabled to turn the card off for power saving reasons, I was able to run a forced backup of all drives and an scheduled backup while I was out this afternoon.  I assume it will work just fine tonight.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.  I am finally feeling a bit more confident with WHS and my new system.

PS.  Where do I learn more about where the client and server logs are and how to read them?

Thanks again,

Doug

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:44 AM
  • How do I know what I am looking at and how to proceed from the info contained in these logs.  Thanks.

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Lara, thanks so much for your response but I believe that I am resolved having followed the advice above.  I linked to Connect and didn't quite understand what to do.  I could not access the toolkit either.  HELP!!

Doug

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  DGraybill wrote:

Lara, thanks so much for your response but I believe that I am resolved having followed the advice above.  I linked to Connect and didn't quite understand what to do.  I could not access the toolkit either.  HELP!!

Doug

Hi Doug,

I deeplinked. I'm sorry. Users who are not already in the beta should register on Connect here and then apply for the WHS beta here. You can download the toolkit here but it doesn't provide our handy cheatsheet. So generally, Connect is the best option.

Thanks and I'm glad to hear that things are working for you.

Lara Jones [MS]

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:13 PM
  • Doug,

You asked about finding info, all the WHS documentation etc. is available here. If you install the Toolkit, it has a built-in facility to read all the logs, which is easier than fiddling through the systems. If you do install it, take note of the instructions in it's associated manual, as it isn't the usual method.

Colin

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:51 PM
  • After the power outage here last week in California I had similar issue, no connection, everything greyed out. I check everything in all of the suggestions here and on other web sites and still no connection, I could see the data and get the data, but no backups tacking place. I finally pulled the server out and put a monitor on it to see what was going on. My first hint was the yellow warning icon saying that some updates failed, ok, it happens, try to manually get updates, it fails again. odd. I looked at why updates were failing and noticed that the system date was October 29, 2099... nah, it couldn't be THAT simple. Sure enough, change to the correct date and all is back to normal. A very very frustrating experience to say the least.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:17 AM