Why does Mesh keep updating so often? What is it updating? RRS feed

• Question

• At least 2-3 times a day I get the dialog notice that Mesh is needs to update, even if there has been no activity with it.  It also happens in the middle of something I am working on, and I must take care of it before I can continue what I am doing. I have no idea why it needs to update so often, or what it is updating.  There should be a manual setting for this so that I can update it when I am not working on other projects and don't want to be interrupted for it to update.

Or, there should be some way to set a specific time for it to auto-update, like, when I am not using the machine, or it has been idle for a while.  And, allow it to be manually updated in between if necessary. 

Windows XP - Vista - Internet Explorer
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:41 PM

Answers

•  

SUMMARY:

Live Mesh appears to ‘Update’ itself almost continuously.  Every day the customer will see a message in the System Tray, via the Live Mesh Notifier, that there are ‘Software Updates Available’.

INTRODUCTION:

This experience is caused by the affected login not being a member of the Administrators group.  The solution is to add the affected login to the Administrators group, enabling the installation of updates that are waiting in the update queue.

MORE INFORMATION:

Adding an account to the Administrators group; Windows Vista

1.       Log off of the non administrator account

a.       Click the Start logo, click or hover over  the right arrow to expose options, select Log Off

2.       Log into the machine with the local administrator account or another account that is already specified as a member of the Administrators group

a.       Strike Ctrl-Alt-Delete and hold these keys down until you see the login screen

b.      Enter the login and password of the Administrator or an administrator account

c.       Log in

3.       Access the Computer Management console

a.       Click the Start Logo

b.      Right click on Computer

c.       Select Manage

d.      Under Local Users and Groups, select Groups

e.      Select the Administrators group, double click this

f.        Click Add

g.       Type the name of the account that you would like to add

h.      Click OK

4.       Log off of the administrator account that you just used and log in using the prior account that was experiencing the update issue with Live Mesh

Adding an account to the Administrators group; Windows XP

a.       Click Start, click Log Off then Log Off again

2.       Log into the machine with the local administrator account or another account that is already specified as a member of the Administrators group

a.       Strike Ctrl-Alt-Delete and hold these keys down until you see the login screen

b.      Enter the login and password of the Administrator or an administrator account

c.       Log in

a.       Click Start

b.      Right click My Computer

c.       Click on Manage

f.        Click Add

h.      Click OK

4.       Log off of the administrator account that you just used and log in using the prior account that was experiencing the update issue with Live Mesh

Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Hi Jan,

The team would like to look deeper into this issue.  Live Mesh should not be updating that frequently.  We would appreciate it if you could submit a bug report and include the Live Mesh logs from that machine.  To submit a bug with the logs attached:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.

Also, if you could include (in your description of the issue) the exact text of the dialog notice you're seeing, that would be great.

Thanks for using Live Mesh,

Ben.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

The team would like to look deeper into this issue.  Live Mesh should not be updating that frequently.  We would appreciate it if you could submit a bug report and include the Live Mesh logs from that machine.  To submit a bug with the logs attached:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Also, if you could include (in your description of the issue) the exact text of the dialog notice you're seeing, that would be great.

Ben.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Jan, I'll add that I've *never* seen a prompt about Live Mesh needing to update and I have the client running full time on several PCs.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Yes I agree with Stephen. I also had never seen a prompt about Live Mesh asking to Update. After this I manually asked to update, & it said its uptodate.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Ben - Live Mesh said:

Hi Jan,

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I will try to capture the dialog and send the info

Friday, May 2, 2008 1:40 AM
  • Ben - Live Mesh said:

Hi Jan,

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I have filed the bug, added the logs your requested from both machines that I have the Live mesh installed on, and a screenshot of the dialog box with the message as well.  Here is a ink to that bug report.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=341784&SiteID=425

My Connect handle is Tink, just in case. :-)

Jan :)

• Edited by Jan Ilacqua Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:00 PM Needed to add my Connect handle
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Ben,

I have a similar problem.  I am using Mesh on my Vista Business machine at work and my XP Pro machine at home.  Every morning, Mesh on my Vista Business machine tells me that there are updates available.  After going through UAC, Mesh updates in a few seconds and everything proceeds normally.

Is this a bug as described in Jan's post?

Lucas
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Ben,

in anticipation of you telling me that the above-described behavior is a bug, I ran the "collect live mesh logs" command.  However, it did not create cab file on my desktop?  Any ideas?

Lucas
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Thank you for filing a bug report.  Your thorough feedback is very useful to the team!  I'll let you know if I learn anything more. 

Ben.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Hi Lucas,

Does anything happen at all when you go to Start Menu > All Programs > Live Mesh > Collect Live Mesh Logs?  Any additional information you can provide about what (if anything) happens would be helpful so I can look into this issue for you.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Ben - Live Mesh said:

Hi Jan,

Thank you for filing a bug report.  Your thorough feedback is very useful to the team!  I'll let you know if I learn anything more. 

Ben.

Thanks, Ben.  I hope the information will help you find something that will explain this behavior.  It's kind of annoying.

Jan :)
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:42 AM
  •  

SUMMARY:

Live Mesh appears to ‘Update’ itself almost continuously.  Every day the customer will see a message in the System Tray, via the Live Mesh Notifier, that there are ‘Software Updates Available’.

INTRODUCTION:

This experience is caused by the affected login not being a member of the Administrators group.  The solution is to add the affected login to the Administrators group, enabling the installation of updates that are waiting in the update queue.

MORE INFORMATION:

Adding an account to the Administrators group; Windows Vista

a.       Click the Start logo, click or hover over  the right arrow to expose options, select Log Off

c.       Log in

a.       Click the Start Logo

b.      Right click on Computer

c.       Select Manage

f.        Click Add

h.      Click OK

Adding an account to the Administrators group; Windows XP

a.       Click Start, click Log Off then Log Off again

c.       Log in

a.       Click Start

b.      Right click My Computer

c.       Click on Manage

f.        Click Add

h.      Click OK

Program Manager | Live Mesh
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:22 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing, kind of.  About once a day, I'll get an update notification on my work computer (where I don't log on with administrative access).  One a couple of others, where I'm lazy (and I need to fix this!) they don't ask.  I'm assuming they just update themselves.
    Friday, May 9, 2008 3:25 AM