Circle not recognized RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 3 PCs. One is still on 1.6 and awaiting the automatic update.  The other two, my Hub PC  and my notebook updated this morining.  The one on the notebook took but the one on the Hub crashed.  Actually my PC crashed during updating and then I had to uninstall and reinstall 2392 on it.

Once the Hub PC rebooted, the wizard came up to tie to my ID (one I am using here) but then died.  I clicked on activate and did it that way.  I may the PC a Hub again and set up my central back up device.  I noticed that the expiration date in bottom lefthand corner that had read that my subscription expires on 12/15/07 was gone.  I thought this was good since I actually have a subscription tied to this ID until April.

I then went to the Notebook and ran the wizard.  I entered the same Live ID.  It activated.  I noticed the expiration notice of 12/15/07 remained on this PC in the bottom left-hand corner.  I clicked on my circle and there was no other PC listed.

I went back to the Hub PC and it didn't see any other PC either.  I went back to Notebook and it wanted me to set up the central back up device because it couldn't find it.  It wouldn't connect with my device because my Hub PC is outside its circle.  I made the Notebook  a hub hoping this would help it along.  No go.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled on the Notebook and re-ran the wizard.  No difference.  I am stuck.

Oh yes, my 3rd PC hasn't updated yet so I don't know which of my two circles with one PC it would go with.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:01 PM

Answers

• Sorry that it still isn't working. I think you may still have a mixed set of OneCare - perpetual on the notebook and public on the hub machine. But, that is just a guess on my part. You can try reinstalling both from the Perpetual download or you can contact support for analysis and help - 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve
    Friday, October 26, 2007 1:10 AM

All replies

• Are the PCs that experienced the problems on the Perpetual? If so, please take this discussion there.

If the crash happened on a Perpetual Beta machine, it is critical that you file a bug. If it was a public beta update that crashed, a bug would still be good, but a beta to beta update won't be encountered by subscribers. The 12/15/07 date concerns me in that you may be mixing the public and private betas with the same LiveID - in effect two subscriptions in different environments (back end for private beta and public beta are not the same and are both different from the released subscriber/trial back end).

-steve

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:19 PM
  • The one that crashed was beta 2 to beta 2 and it wasn't the WLOC's fault.  I am having random reboots on this machine for months now and cannot figure out the problem.  I mentioned it because I think it messed up WLOC.  Yeah, I used the same ID before I found out I shouldn't.  But I was stuck with it.

Still, it was working fine in 2350 so don't know why it shouldn't work now.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Note that the perpetual and the public beta subscriptions are to different back end environments so if one machine was installed from Connect (perpetual 1.6) and upgraded to 2.0 last night and the other is the public beta, they can't be in the same Circle.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:35 AM
  • OK, I uninstalled and downloaded again from the beta site 2.0 and reinstalled on both and used my other ID, same for both that is not my paid subscription ID.  24 hours and things remain exactly the same.  They don't recognize each other and the notebook correctly says that subscription will expire in 5/2008 while my main hub machine gives no expiration date.

So what am I doing wrong.  Where should I be downloading to install?  Should I go back to perpetual beta place to install?  Or is this just a bug.

Confused.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Sorry that it still isn't working. I think you may still have a mixed set of OneCare - perpetual on the notebook and public on the hub machine. But, that is just a guess on my part. You can try reinstalling both from the Perpetual download or you can contact support for analysis and help - 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve
    Friday, October 26, 2007 1:10 AM
  • Got the monthly report today on Hub PC and it says that the status of my subscription is unavailable.  This may be the problem; I wonder why it is unavavailable.  This PC does not list the expiration date of May the way the notebook does.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:57 PM