windows 7 screen/display problems (video included) RRS feed

• Question

• i need a little help with this the screen keep like flickering or flashing whatever you want to call it i just installed did a clean install of windows 7 i upgraded from windows XP now this keep happening any suggestions???
    NVIDIA GeFORCE 6100
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vuSJtINaQ
    Monday, November 2, 2009 2:11 AM

All replies

• I'd suggest asking this in the Windows 7 Hardware & Drivers forum (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/threads)
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Here you have a link that may help you:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Hardware&s=NVIDIA%20GeFORCE%206100

Just select the Video card you have wich is compatible and click on "visit manufacters website" to download the apropiate driver :)

Regardsss!!!
    Your Potential our Passion.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:29 PM
  • I have all updated drivers, and I get this same issue (Screen goes black for a few seconds, and then kicks back in), I don't think it's a driver issue.  I play full screen games and this can get very annoying.  Any suggestions?  This has never happend to me on Xp Pro, seems like a windows 7 issue, maybe  Directx bombing (Ive also updated that, and my bios as well), anyone with more technical background able to lend a few minutes of your time to give suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

System is an Acer Veriton m410 quad core 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia 7600gs pci-e card, full windows updates via windows auto update, full updated video, and bios drivers for my board. Still getting the issue.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:30 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem...i have been searching for 2 or 3 days for a fix and cant find one.   I have also updated all drivers, tried messing with different screen resolutions and still nothing.  Although, ive noticed when i set the performance to "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearence", it seems to slow the flickering down.  Dosent do it as often!!  I have a 7900 GS KO Nvidia video card, 2.4ghz dual core amd, and 2gig Kingston mem...so i know its not my hardware causeing the prob.  Not the best, but up to date anyway...  :) 
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:58 PM
  • I too am having the same problem and I have the same graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 6100) and I've uninstalled drivers, updated drivers, got new ones from their website and the problems still continues.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:52 AM
  • I have the same problem and i'm sure it's not windows 7 fault...i think the problem was since an update from Adobe...had a similar problem before and had to restore it...
    Monday, December 6, 2010 10:38 PM
  • I will not cite my sources here for brevity, but I think I have an answer for you!  Many, many people seem to be experiencing the monitor screen "flicker" in Windows 7, sometimes associated even with BSOD or freezing.  I am a certified, experienced professional PC Service & Support Technician and had to do some research on this problem because I was experiencing it myself and several of my clients were as well.

The problem I'm talking about is that at random intermittent intervals on Windows 7 systems, the video display "flickers" or goes blank for maybe a second or less.  This may happen more than once when it occurs.  Apparently, on some systems, this can cause the system to blue screen or freeze up.  Nothing seems to log on the system error log on most occasions, but it may show up there as a critical error attributed to "kernel-power".  This problem appears to be fairly common on all different systems with Windows 7 installed, and with Nvidia and ATI video cards.  Judging by comments on the Internet, it seems to be fairly common.  On my own desktop, the video display jumps and flickers several times while the system is booting up, as though it's fighting with itself.

I did considerable research on the problem, and this is what I find.  Windows 7 operating system "monitors" the video hardware, and if the operating system decides the video driver or the video card has taken "too long" to perform and particular function, it attempts to take over the process.  When this happens, it causes a "reset" of the video display.  This, I believe, is when the "flickering"/blank screen occurs.

Microsoft's answer to this is to check for an updated video driver, and if one is not found, to keep an eye out for it.  This, to me, means "we're aware of the problem and if we decide to address it we'll let you know."

I haven't yet found a solid fix for this.  It seems to help if you keep the system "cleaned up" and running in the best condition possible.  My system even seems to change the screen resolution when this occurs.  I'm still experimenting, but certain settings seem to be more stable than others.  I keep my system in excellent condition and haven't experienced freezes or "blue screen" stop messages.  Whether or not there's any relationship between these conditions, I can't yet say.

What troubles me most is that there are hundreds of people all over the country doing all kinds of things to their systems, trying to figure this out.  There is probably something or other that helps, but I don't know if we're going to eliminate the problem altogether.  Hopefully, Microsoft will become interested in issuing a fix.

I'm pretty confident of my diagnosis, and all the circumstances I can find seem to fit.  I will keep digging, and pass along any other information I find.  I hope everyone else passes word where they can, also, so people can stop running tests and reinstalling and buying new video cards and all, to no probable avail.

And all this could be over a milli-second in the operating of the video system, that no human eye could discern anyhow.

Ya' gotta' love it!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:22 PM