Backing up WHS to an internal SATA drive very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I used to backup my WHS box to an external 1.5tb USB drive but it's outgrown that so I've put in a 2Tb internal SATA drive. I've just started thebackup and it seems to be very slow - certainly no quicker than the USB drive. The CPU is busy but not maxed (about 15-50%. At the current rate it looks like it will take several days to backup the 1.6Tb. Is this normal? I'd have expected much faster backups via the internal drive.
    The logs show no hardware errors and all looks well in device manager.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• Certainly doesn't sound normal. Is it an Advanced Format drive you are using?
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I can't see anything on the drive identifying it as Advanced Format but TBH, that's a new thing to me - just Googling it now as I'd not heard of AF before. It's a Samsung HD204UI. I do note there's a firmware update for it which perhaps I should try.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Just found a thread on another forum that claims it is Advanced Format and advising to reformat it on a Vista or Win7 box. When I first loaded it onto WHS, it said the drive had no partition so I initialised it, partitioned and did a quick format from within the Disk Management tool. Does that mean it's not AF anymore?
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Just checked Samsung's website, it's def. Advanced Format.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:05 PM
  • I can't remember what the rules are for formatting these drives (I use Western Digital ones) but remember there was a lot of discussion when they first arrived.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thanks. Been Googling. These don't have jumpers like the WD ones but there's a lot of contradictory info on using them with WHS, some say they just work, others talk about convoluted workarounds. Still researching it.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Ah, yes. My WD EARS drive uses the jumper so I have not had a problem.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Looks like it's my VIA 3249 card - they don't support SATA II or such big drives very well. Time for a new SATA controller. Thanks for your thoughts Philip - got me digging around on things I wouldn't have expected!
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:14 PM