What is it with you moderators!!!!?? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am sick and tired of having moderators marking and unmarking answers to my my forum queries. I know when and if I get a answer to my question. I don't need any one who guesses what may or may not be correct and then chooses to mark it so.

This is especially true when I want to close the thread and say that "there doesn't appear to be answer or no one seems to understand what I want". That IS my answer and when I mark it so I don't need some obstinate fool to change it. I know what I want and if I choose to abandon the thread with a closing comment, then its my business.

The example is here: " Visual C# Express Edition > Two Apps operate separately - How to store common data?"

See the posts beginning Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:42 AM

- Yoyo Jiang posts a reply and then marks his reply as the solution.

- On Monday, December 26, 2011 8:37 PM I reply that I disagree, unmark his answer, and mark mine as the solution - a non-solution, I might add.

- Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:43 AM, Yoyo Jiang agrees that I can unmark the answer.

- 14 hours 57 minutes later, Martin Xie comes along repeats my posts and the replies to it, and then unmarks my post as the solution. BUT NO ONE HAS GIVEN ME THE SOLUTION THAT I NEED. Only I can judge that!!

This push to mark replies is supposedly to let people filter out posts that are not solutions. But marking non-answers as solutions makes a joke out of the entire point of a forum.

Senior moderators should check juniors. Make sure that you all remind yourselves of your purpose here, and that as far as I am concerned is firstly to be IMPARTIAL!

Now I have a suggestion that I hope you will enforce in the software logic of the forum application: Only the original poster of the query can mark replies as answers. No one else - not even moderators - should be allowed to mark posts. Then perhaps we can have some real user integrity about the the information posted in these forums.

• Edited by LouOttawa Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:36 PM
    • Changed type Hasham NiazModerator Friday, December 30, 2011 5:07 AM Changing Type from Question to Discussion as OP just wants argue with current Moderator thrends rather than providing specific example and also i see multiple threads where OP marked his own posts as an Answer where its clearly not an Answer
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• Re: Now I have a suggestion that I hope you will enforce in the software logic of the forum application: Only the original poster of the query can mark replies as answers. No one else - not even moderators - should be allowed to mark posts. Then perhaps we can have some real user integrity about the the information posted in these forums.

The problem with this is that many 'original posters' don't come back to read or mark the posts; therefore, the 'right' answer can hang out there forever unmarked and be of no help to anyone else with the same question.

[posting from the bridge]

Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Thanks LouOttawa for your feedback. Customers' suggestions will improve our community operation, and make it more user-friendly.

By the way, I attach that thread in question here so that others can know about the context

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvcs/thread/ec995905-66fe-4a01-9ac8-685ca6e5ca64

Thanks again.

I apologize to you if we disturbed you.

Martin Xie [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:04 AM
  • I've read this thread and IMHO all the suggestions in it were very good one. Of course, the OP can always disagree and if the suggestion didn't solve the problem, continue to look for a different option.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Re: Now I have a suggestion that I hope you will enforce in the software logic of the forum application: Only the original poster of the query can mark replies as answers. No one else - not even moderators - should be allowed to mark posts. Then perhaps we can have some real user integrity about the the information posted in these forums.

The problem with this is that many 'original posters' don't come back to read or mark the posts; therefore, the 'right' answer can hang out there forever unmarked and be of no help to anyone else with the same question.

Kathleen Anderson
    Spider Web Woman Designs

Agreed. This would just result in hundreds of thousands of more unanswered questions. But you're right, the Moderator should defer to the asker, especially when the Asker is willing to close a question themselves.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:57 AM
    Owner
  • Also, every Moderator is different, every Asker is different, and every context is different. So each issue might require a unique solution.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:16 AM
    Owner

Kathleen Anderson
    Spider Web Woman Designs

You are a case in point. People don't seem to read and understand the query.

Yes! Absolutely there will be people who don't come back and mark the solution. There will always be a percentage that do this. But there may also be a good reason for that - people are fed up with others not reading or not understanding the query. This happens to me in almost every thread!! Let that issue go. You will never solve it! What you propose instead is that someone with no stake in the issue, picks a solution. And he/she may just as easily be wrong as they might be correct. So its of no use to have someone other than the OP decide what to pick.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Thanks LouOttawa for your feedback. Customers' suggestions will improve our community operation, and make it more user-friendly.

By the way, I attach that thread in question here so that others can know about the context

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvcs/thread/ec995905-66fe-4a01-9ac8-685ca6e5ca64

Thanks again.

I apologize to you if we disturbed you.

Martin Xie [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

If you don't want to bother me don't post. I don't want the "goodness of your heart behavior" its a waste of my time!.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I've read this thread and IMHO all the suggestions in it were very good one. Of course, the OP can always disagree and if the suggestion didn't solve the problem, continue to look for a different option.

My blog

They are good - and rather obvious - suggestions. But they are NOT solutions to MY goal. So it may be that there is no answer. When reviewed by someone else in the future, they will read the question, look at the post marked as a solution and see the disconnect. How does that help anyone??
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Agreed. This would just result in hundreds of thousands of more unanswered questions. But you're right, the Moderator should defer to the asker, especially when the Asker is willing to close a question themselves.

Yes, Ed, the entire world of programmers is out to post questions and leave them unanswered. We of course have little else to do and have hidden twitter and facebook pages to move the masses towards this goal. What a crock!

Maybe if you instituted my suggestion, this over-exagerrated, huge, world-wide mass of unanswered questions would stop occurring. After all, what is the point of me coming back to mark a solution when any one can change the marking.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Also, every Moderator is different, every Asker is different, and every context is different. So each issue might require a unique solution.

And some questions have no solution!

And some "solutions" are posted by some people who are for some reason compelled to provide anything because they seem to think its their job.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Should I, or shouldn't I?   Hmmm...

Yes!

IMHO this is the solution to this thread. I said so.
    • Edited by LouOttawa Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:03 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Note that marking a reply as Answer doesn’t actually close a thread; nothing prevents people from providing additional information, which you may or may not find useful.

Also, it doesn’t make sense to mark a post as Answer when it clearly isn’t. No one should do that, neither a moderator nor the original poster.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Should I, or shouldn't I?   Hmmm...

Yes!

IMHO this is the solution to this thread. I said so.

This post should not be supposed to Marked as an "Answer". I have Unmarked this as an "Answer" and changing the thread type from "Question" to "Discussion".

Thanks, Hasham

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Chnaging from Question to Discussion means only that posts can no longer be marked as answer (and thus no points awarded for such). The type can also easily be changed back to Question (after which marked as answer can go again)

The Discussion type is imo only suitable for the very occasional information posts **from Microsoft** and the Question Type should therefore always be used.

If you want to close the conversation, doing so through a Lock is much superior to changing to Discussion type.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, January 2, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I don't think this conversation should have been locked (may be not yet), but it definitely should not be degenerated into insults. I see that the user has been banned (one of his multiple re-incarnations), so at least this is a positive fact, IMHO.

My blog
    Monday, January 2, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Agreed. This would just result in hundreds of thousands of more unanswered questions. But you're right, the Moderator should defer to the asker, especially when the Asker is willing to close a question themselves.

Yes, Ed, the entire world of programmers is out to post questions and leave them unanswered. We of course have little else to do and have hidden twitter and facebook pages to move the masses towards this goal. What a crock!

Maybe if you instituted my suggestion, this over-exagerrated, huge, world-wide mass of unanswered questions would stop occurring. After all, what is the point of me coming back to mark a solution when any one can change the marking.

I disagree. I don't think the "entire world of programmers is out to post questions and leave them unanswered."

I don't think you agree with that either. (Or else you wouldn't have said "What a crock!")

I'm sorry if we have frustrated you.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:50 AM
    Owner
  • Ed, regarding hundreds of thousands of more unanswered questions, I'm sure you recognize sarcasm when you see it.

Isn't that why you proposed this post as Answer?  Facetious sarcasm, right?

It is good to see you are so sincere in your reply just above.

We can only hope the other 5 (?) moderator participants in this thread will follow your lead.

PS.  Now might be a good time to try out that new UnPropose feature.

Maybe you can tell us your thoughts about Dr Ziffel's thread too.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:21 AM