OneCare firewall is disabled by "group policy" RRS feed

• Question

• I need help getting my OneCare firewall restarted.  This is my home PC-- I am the administrator and it is not part of a network.  I have a paid subscription with 3 PC's in my OneCare circle, so I don't want to remove/clean/reload OneCare. 

My OneCare version is 2.5.2900.24.  My virus & spyware version is 1.59.1404.0.  My firewall policy verision is "unavailable."

My OS is Windows XP, Home Edition 2002.  I have SP3, IE8, and all the other updates that Microsoft says are critical.

I have tried to use the OneCare firewall repair tool, the Windows "Mr. Fixit" repair tool, and tried to restart OneCare without success.  Generally, the PC runs OK, but I can't use turn on the firewall from OneCare or from the Windows Security center.

When I open the firewall toggle menu in the Windows security center, there's a header that says "for your protection some security settings are controlled by group policy."  I can't turn the firewall on from this menu.

What's the best way to diagnose and repair the firewall on this PC?

Thanks,
    • Edited by ckumark Friday, June 26, 2009 5:42 PM Fixing thread title bug
    Friday, June 19, 2009 1:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• If the firewall repair tool did not resolve the issue try uninstalling One Care, run the cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 then reinstall One Care. If the issue persists after reinstallation please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:33 AM
  • This is the hub PC for my OneCare circle.  The other 2 PC's are my kids' laptops, and they are at school in other states, so I really don't want to uninstall OneCare and lose their OneCare service. 

Is there an easy way other way to assure that they won't lose their OneCare service if I uninstall/clean/reinstall OneCare on this machine?

Thanks,
    Friday, June 19, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Reinstalling would not cause the other computers to lose service. If it will make you more comfortable stop using this computer as a hub before uninstalling, then make it a hub again after reinstalling One Care.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:27 PM
  • I just want to add that the OneCare firewall is not turned on or off via the Windows Security Center. What you see there is the Windows Firewall and it is turned off using a Group Policy setting by OneCare at installation.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 19, 2009 1:03 PM