Strange Vistation Activation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• My main office computer was a 2006 HP laptop dv9220. I loved it, big screen; but it fried when I spilled water on it. HP wanted $900 to fix it, so I went to Tiger.com and bought a refurbished Toshiba ($400) with the same specs, vista, Hitachi sata HD. Swapped out the hard drives, played with some drivers, and all worked well, until Vista now wants an activation, and says the vista version is not valid. Using the HP vista key doesnt work; using the TOshiba vista key doesnt work. What should I do guru? I aint buying a new license when I now have two valid ones. gordonlearn@yahoo.com
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try using the Windows Product Key Update Tool to change the HP product key to the Toshiba product key.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Hello Gordon,

If I understand correctly, you moved the Hard Drive from the HP to the Toshiba.  So you now have a HP version of Windows Vista (using the HP specific Product Key) running on a Toshiba PC.

If Carey's suggestion doesn't work, then the fix is to install the Toshiba version of Windows running on the Toshiba PC using the Toshiba product key.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:11 PM