BUG (id: 254198) may not be closed as won't fix RRS feed

• Question

• The bug named: [Beta 2 installation error: "Installing Windows Home Server base services failed. Error 0x800703eb."] is marked as closed and [Won't fix].

I think the issue should be fixed, because the problem is obvious and reproducible.

Repro steps:

a) Start installing WHS

b) When drivers (like netwokr) are not found, remove WHS disk and insert CD with network drivers

c) Do NOT insert the WHS CD back

d) When WHS finallizes installation, it tries to spawn install of additional MSI's (not a Vista image extraction) and fails as the CD is not available

Why it has to be fixed:

First thing, server installs updates during the installation and therefore it is a good idea to have network card drivers already installed. Secondly, WHS install could ask for a driver disk if they are not found, because often they come with the PC and searching automatically inserted CD shouldn't be aproblem. Third - at this stage setup MUST still provide the seamless way of installing software and instead of showing error message it should ask for the WHS CD or allow user to abort installation if they cannot provide it or it is aborted.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:06 PM

Answers

• There are a number of reasons this will not be fixed, and you probably will not agree/like all of them:

• The part of the system that is failing is the windows 2003 server for small buisness installation routine. The next version of the windows server for small buisness will be based upon the new vista installation methods. As a workaround exists and fixing this problem would be very time consuming, it will be left unfixed.
    • WHS has been mentioned to be provided pre-installed on systems and through oem channels to enthusiasts, and not directly to consumers (retail). Given both these routes are to technically experinced/knowledgable people, the problem can be resolved by pointing people to the workaround.
    • If things go as expected, the largest amount of WHS sales will be from pre-installed systems. This issue will never be seen in those cases.

So I can understand your fustration, but can also see where MS is coming from in their response.

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:06 PM

All replies

• It's probably marked "Closed (wont fix)" because the primary delivery mechanism for WHS is pretty obviously not going to be on DVD, it's going to be pre-installed on hardware. So it will be up to the vendor to deal with issues like that. They'll only have to do it once, then they can clone the drive a million times.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 2:32 AM
  • Actually there is suppose to be a BYOH (Bring Your Own Hardware) version of WHS to be released (from what I've read), so this could be an issue.  My guess is they plan to add more NIC drivers in the RTM version so it will be a non-issue.  Especially as you're suppose to use an older box that should have driver support built in...

My guess...
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:17 PM
  • I had the same problem as Romualdas the first time I installed.  It was a pain.  I ended up aborting the installation by turning off the computer.  I nuked the partition and started the install again, but this time NOT installing any custom drivers until after WHS completed installing.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Second time I managed to install drivers from CD and then reinserted the WHS CD after the drivers were installed.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I haven't seen it officialy anywhere. If this is the case, then forget "install on your old box" scenario . And even though I have bought the brand new box for the home server purpose, I personally don't like the idea of pre-installed boxes, as I personally would like to have custom built silent box. And there are reasons for doing that in my case.

Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:55 PM
  • There are a number of reasons this will not be fixed, and you probably will not agree/like all of them:

• The part of the system that is failing is the windows 2003 server for small buisness installation routine. The next version of the windows server for small buisness will be based upon the new vista installation methods. As a workaround exists and fixing this problem would be very time consuming, it will be left unfixed.
    • WHS has been mentioned to be provided pre-installed on systems and through oem channels to enthusiasts, and not directly to consumers (retail). Given both these routes are to technically experinced/knowledgable people, the problem can be resolved by pointing people to the workaround.
    • If things go as expected, the largest amount of WHS sales will be from pre-installed systems. This issue will never be seen in those cases.

So I can understand your fustration, but can also see where MS is coming from in their response.

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Sad, but as I see - I will have to accept the explanation.

P.S. and why we have always to wait for a third product version to be just right 

Monday, March 26, 2007 8:21 PM