none
Transfer WHS backup data base to new server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of upgrading from an HP EX470 to a home built server of substantially greater capability. I have installed a new copy of WHS and it is working well. I copied the user files from the old server to the new server with no trouble.

The EX470 has been performing backups on my various household computers for over a year. I would like to keep this well established backup database by transfering it to my new server. Is there a safe and reliable way to do this?

I do not want to move all the disks over to the new system and then do a WHS re-install as I am using a new and much larger drive as my new primary drive.

Thanks,
    Ira
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:07 AM

Answers

• IraBlumberg said:

I am in the process of upgrading from an HP EX470 to a home built server of substantially greater capability. I have installed a new copy of WHS and it is working well. I copied the user files from the old server to the new server with no trouble.

The EX470 has been performing backups on my various household computers for over a year. I would like to keep this well established backup database by transfering it to my new server. Is there a safe and reliable way to do this?

I do not want to move all the disks over to the new system and then do a WHS re-install as I am using a new and much larger drive as my new primary drive.

Thanks,
    Ira

First, you shouldn't use the backup database as an archive tool.  It's designed to be a quick restore of a malfunctioning computer (which means you restore to the last good backup, usually last night's).

Having said that, you can move the database by either following the Backup and Restore Technical Brief or by using the BDBB add-in (which basically automates the brief).

Friday, March 20, 2009 4:14 AM

All replies

• IraBlumberg said:

I am in the process of upgrading from an HP EX470 to a home built server of substantially greater capability. I have installed a new copy of WHS and it is working well. I copied the user files from the old server to the new server with no trouble.

Thanks,
    Ira

First, you shouldn't use the backup database as an archive tool.  It's designed to be a quick restore of a malfunctioning computer (which means you restore to the last good backup, usually last night's).

Having said that, you can move the database by either following the Backup and Restore Technical Brief or by using the BDBB add-in (which basically automates the brief).

Friday, March 20, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Thanks. The documentation pointed me to the directory I needed to copy and the commands necessary to stop and start the backup services.

Ira
    Friday, March 20, 2009 8:08 PM