Work laptop on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have WHS running at home - with WHS box, I have 2 laptops and a desktop connected to it.

Works great.

What I'd like to know is if I installed the WHS connector software on my work laptop would it break my connections to my work network (XP- local domain)?   

Ya, I realize installing WHS software on a laptop owned by my employer is a question - turns out the owner is fine with it, as long as I don't break the configuration.  My arguement was that the work network backups up data files every day, but I'd like to have a complete restore option WHS offers. 

Thanks! 
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:34 PM

Answers

• I've had my work laptop connect to WHS since the beginning and it hasn't messed with anything regarding the domains (I didn't change the domain - just left it the way it has to be for work).

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:59 PM
  • You should have no problems with your network at work just because you've joined your laptop to WHS. Unless your IT department monitors traffic closely, that is, in which case they may ask you about the regular attempts of the connector software to locate your server.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies

• I've had my work laptop connect to WHS since the beginning and it hasn't messed with anything regarding the domains (I didn't change the domain - just left it the way it has to be for work).

Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:59 PM
  • You should have no problems with your network at work just because you've joined your laptop to WHS. Unless your IT department monitors traffic closely, that is, in which case they may ask you about the regular attempts of the connector software to locate your server.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Ken and DT:

Thanks for quick responses and reassurances this will work.  I'll give it a shot, and provide feedback here.

Take care. 
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:15 PM

• Well, this does seem to work - thanks!

For the record my work computer is a Thinkpad T60, running XP Pro, networked using a domain structure (e.g. not a workgroup).  I connect this wireless (WPA2-PSK) to my home router which has 2 other laptops and a desktop connected (those all wireless also).  WHS, XBox 360, and Vonage phone box are hardwired to to the router.  All (including WHS) but the work laptop are configured to be in same workgroup.  (I don't think an XP system can have both domain and workgroup configurations, correct?). 
    Friday, April 18, 2008 10:56 PM