Restoring 64 bit Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I plan on restoring my vista 64 bit dell desktop from a previous backup. I read other comments where people had to get 32 bit versions of their drivers as the restore CD uses 32 bit drivers. The comments have been they put it on a flash drive in a folder called drivers for WHS restore.

I am writing to find out specifically what drivers need to be included on this flash device. I currently downloaded 32 bit drivers for the realtek network card, but wonder if there are others that are required. Also Was it as simple as booting the machine with my restore CD and the flash drive connected or will I need to do some pointing.

My last comment is that some mentioned that I would need to create a new restore CD from the image provided in 2008. I purchased my HP EX470 previous to this date. Does this mean that my CD is not valid for restoring Vista systems.

Has anyone had problems restoring their hard drive systems if they had a problem opening them to view the contents.

thanks
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    I don't know, which version of the restore CD has been delivered with your HP. Was the server already preinstalled with Power Pack 1? If not, you should get the updated version of the restore CD.
    You may find the following FAQ interesting:
    How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore
    How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by mesipro Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Thank you Olaf

I take it then that the network drivers are the only drivers I need. I will take a look at your links. I know I saw the one regarding how to restore a client PC if the network connection does not work last night. I am hopeful I will not have to go that route. I haven't seen the first link yet, so that will be interesting.

thanks
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:37 PM
  • I got Vista 64 bit restored from a backup. I had no problems with scanning my flash drive for the drivers and the restore worked fine. I had a scare when I rebooted after the process completed as the screen was black. I rebooted into safe mode and then normal mode and I am good to go once again.

thanks
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:13 PM