product key needed RRS feed

• Question

• I need a product key for my laptop can u help me out?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:23 PM

Answers

• If Microsoft Windows Windows came already installed on your laptop, the product key can usually be found on the bottom surface of the laptop.  If you cannot find it, contact the manufacturer of your laptop for assistance.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:32 PM

All replies

• If Microsoft Windows Windows came already installed on your laptop, the product key can usually be found on the bottom surface of the laptop.  If you cannot find it, contact the manufacturer of your laptop for assistance.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:32 PM
  • I JUST ORDERED A LAPTOP OFF LINE FROM COMPUTER GEEKS.COM.I CANT LOG IN BECAUSE IT SAYS I NEED TO ACTIVATE MICROSOFT WINDOWS.EVERY TIME I PUT IN THE PRODUCT KEY NUMBER THATS ON THE BACK IT CONTINUES TO SAY ITS INVALID.BUT I TRIED IT OVER 100 TIMES.HERES THE NUMBER *****-*****-3DFTC-34J7Q-4PVDJ.I NEED MY LAPTOP IM IN IRAQ AND I JUST STARTED COLLEGE COURSES.SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP.I NEED TO BE ABLE TO ACTIVATE MY MICROSOFT WINDOWS PLEASE.

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Hello Kerry,

Can you please confirm which version of Windows you are running on your laptop, Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:52 PM
  • i have the same problem i got my computer in the summer and when i go to use microsoft office it says to put in a product key and i read that it is on the bottom of the laptop so i put it in and it says its incorrect. I have Windows Vista now when i try to type in Word it won't let me. Please reply back
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:14 AM
  • DJ8989,

The Product Key on the bottom of the laptop is for your installed Operating System, Windows Vista.  The Certificate of Authenticity has "Windows Vista" printed on it right above the Product Key.

Preinstalled TRIAL versions of Office will run for 60 days, after which you must PURCHASE a Product Key from Microsoft to convert the TRIAL version of Office to Perpetual license upon entering the purchased Product Key and activating the product.  If you do not purchase the Product Key and activate the trial version, the trial version will continue to open but it will run in Reduced Functionality Mode, which lets you read the documents but does not let you edit them or create new documents.

Here are all the details:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:39 PM
  • i've purchased a laptop and i would like to use my own software (microsoft profeessional w. media center on my laptop) can I use the product key that was issused must I buy a new key for that system

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:03 AM
  • On the bottom of my new laptop is a product key. when I enter it it comes up incorrect

Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Hello bkcasa,

If you have a OEM license for your copy of Windows then you must buy a new copy for this laptop if that software has ever been installed on another machine, if you have a retail copy you may uninstall it from your current machine and install it on the new laptop.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Hello randoo,

The product key affixed to your laptop is for your OS, this product key is not valid for any other software.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:58 PM