FRUSTRATION LEBEL...BUILDING..... RRS feed

• Question

• I finally got a piece of Microsoftware I was very pleased with. It found a couple of tiny pieces of malware that none of my other protection software found. But after robooting, I could no longer access email. Internet connectivity is a go, but no mail. So I unchecked the box that said  Look for activity that looks like a virus/malware, and instead of immedidaately getting an error message, the download routine started, but would no to so far as to actually download email. So of course, I looked at the Support section, and because I'm still in the trial stage of evaluating the program--the ONLYH SUPPPORT THAT'S OFFERED IS VIA EMAIL. So Microsoft. Sigh.

Anybody got any idea what's up?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• One Care does not scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. If you have other security software installed One Care could be conflicting with it causing your e-mail problem. Uninstalling any other security software will most likely resolve this issue. If you need to contact support, the reaching support FAQs are helpful - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Thanks for the information. Earthlink got me the answer, turning off the email scanning of Norton 360 (though at a complete loss to be able to tell me WHY it worked until now). Very weird, but I can live with hit.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Thanks for the information. Earthlink got me the answer, turning off the email scanning of Norton 360 (though at a complete loss to be able to tell me WHY it worked until now). Very weird, but I can live with hit.

If you have Norton 360 on your PC and also Windows Live OneCare, you *must* remove one of them or they will conflict. Your PC may experience performance issues, system instability, and may inhibit both suites from providing protection.

The reason that email scanning used to work was that you were not also using OneCare. Once you installed OneCare, you introduced a conflict and created the problem.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:39 PM