WHS not suitable for mass editing files? RRS feed

• Question

• I have bought WHS for one sole reason, to store all the photos and music files. But so far I have not managed to make WHS work satisfactorily when editing large number of files (i.e. photos and music files).

My spouse loves to edit our photos. She moves them around folders, change the names, tags them and having fun. For every thing she do, WHS is balancing storage and the client slowes down considerably. She have used Picasa for this, but after I found out about the UNC path recommendation we have stopped editing photos (Picasa does not support UNC paths) and my home network budget is now on stake.

MY hobby is to digitalize our music collection. As my spouse, I move the files around folders, change names, tags them and having fun. The editing is often in bulk. For every thing I do, WHS is balancing storage and the client slowes down (actually, it stops responding).

So WHS starts balancing storage and slows down, close to stops responding, when working with a large number of files.

Is this a known issue, or have I configurated WHS the wrong way?

/Steinar

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:05 PM

Answers

• Steinar -

For the problem with UNC paths, map a drive to the UNC path.  Such as Z: = \\SERVER\SHARENAME.  That usually (not always though) will resolve the problem.  You'll do this on the CLIENT machines.

As far as the slowdown due to balancing.  I've experiences this myself, but nothing terribly slow even when I move 10GB+ worth of data around.  What type of disks do you have hooked up?  Are they internal or external?  If they are internal, are they PATA or SATA drives? 

Rob

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:15 PM

All replies

• Steinar -

For the problem with UNC paths, map a drive to the UNC path.  Such as Z: = \\SERVER\SHARENAME.  That usually (not always though) will resolve the problem.  You'll do this on the CLIENT machines.

As far as the slowdown due to balancing.  I've experiences this myself, but nothing terribly slow even when I move 10GB+ worth of data around.  What type of disks do you have hooked up?  Are they internal or external?  If they are internal, are they PATA or SATA drives? 

Rob

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:15 PM
  • In addition to what Rob has said, what is the spec of your WHS machine?

Andrew

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Steinar, in addition to the configuration of your server, which will be very useful information if you'll share it, it would also be useful to know the configuration of your client PCs: what operating systems, how old they are, if you've has any problems with them, etc.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:31 AM
  •  Robert L. Stinnett wrote:

Steinar -

Rob

Dito, we really need to know what OS you are using to help.

Yes, I did as Robert suggested when I set up WHS 8 months ago. I run XP and I went to My Computer, Tools, Map Network Drive. Left it as Z drive name and then browsed to my pic folder on WHS on the network and selected it.....So you can have Picasa2 monitor and work with pictures on WHS,.

seems to work for me pretty well.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:27 AM
  • OK. I misunderstood regarding the UNC path, that is really a relief I thought you couldn't even map from client, I had a hard time believing that. The server is using two internal PATA drives in different sizes. The first is 3 years old, the other one 4-5 years old. Both is connected on seperate IDE channels. Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz. 1GB RAM. The clients are new laptops and are connecting through a 100mb router. I tried to disable folder duplication on the music share, but WHS still do the balancing. /Steinar
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:15 PM
  • Steinar, if your laptops are new, they may have Windows Vista installed. If they do, you may want to know that there are some known network file access performance issues with Vista. I can't say for sure, but it seems likely to me that these issues would also affect (in a noticable way) bulk file operations using a tool like Picasa.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:55 PM
  • No, they are installed with XP + all sp & fixes. Thanks for the tip, though Smile I will have to dig into the performance problem, try to reset WHS close to reinstalled as possible.

Thank you for the help so far. Apart from being slow the computer is making too much noise, so I guess I will have to do some shopping anyway Smile

With kind regards,
    Steinar
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:45 AM
  • I'm having MASSIVE performance issues as well.. I recently installed the retail OEM version of Windows Home Server on the following system:

Intel P4 2.4GHz (800FSB)

1Gb DDR400 RAM

2x SATA 500Gb (using a Silicon Image PCI SATA Contoller)

2x PATA 320Gb

1x Intel GA1000 Gigabit Ethernet

I've connected the server to my Netgear 5 port Gigabit switch.

I'm using a brand-new iMac with this configuration:

iMac 24" 2.8GHz Extreme

4Gb 667MHz DDR2 RAM

500Gb HD

Gigabit Ethernet

Bootcamp: Vista Ultimate (x32)

VMware Fusion v1.1 (beta)

Configuration is working really well... But the performance is terrrible! I mean really terrible. So far I haven't got the time to test things out but it appears connections to the homeserver stall when I'm doing more than one thing at the time. For instance, extracting a 1Gb archive in my software share, copying photos to the photoshare, and watching a movie located in the videos share using Leopard's Frontrow.

When looking at the server storage tab I noticed the status is always - balancing storage...

When one or two (user) tasks/processes are running on the homeserver the connection will stall and I'm not able to see my shares and all... This is really frustrating...

No related events in eventlog, system is responsive when doing nothing (weird huh!) Smile

If you need additional info please let me know.. I would like this problem solved as soon as possible.

I anybody has some tips please do share them! Smile

I expect the performance to be similar to any windows 2003 server...Is there a way to schedule the balancing process?

Many thanks!

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Hi All,

I'm having the same problems.

WHS retail is running on a P4 2.4, 512mb ram, 2 * 500gb SATA and 1 * 120gb Pata and 100mb network card. Two clients 1 xp, and 1 vista ultimate (no problems with copying large files).

WHS is always "Balancing Storage", not one back up has completed from either machine. It just starts to hang. No log file of any interest in the event logs. Backup status says reorganising data on server and goes no where.

I really like the idea of WHS, but am starting to think it is far from usable at the moment. Was running a Domain Controller with 2003 server to do the same thing (less backing up, which I did with Ghost). Starting to think about going back to it and Ebaying the WHS. Which would be a shame?

I've tried 3 from fresh installs and got the same problems, drivers are all up to date, trimmed down on board peripherals to reduce possible clash. Renewed the WHS connector client.

Is WHS a white elephant or can MS deliver it's promise?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:07 PM