Server appears to be offline RRS feed

• Question

• This appears to be a common problem but none of the solutions listed work for me, so I am starting a new thread - hope this is OK...

As with others whenever I attempt to connect my Quad core Windows 7 64Bit desktop via Launchpad I get the "Server appears to be offline" message.  I have three other machines (running Vista and Windows 7) that connect fine.  I can log in through the Dashboard and RDP.

Un-installing and re-installing the Connector software re-connects (once I have renamed the registry entry "PendingFileRenameOperations"). However, I need to do this each time I reboot.

Further investigation has shown me that the “Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service” and “Windows Server Health Service” services are not running.  Once I start them manually Dashboard opens.  As per other suggestions I have reset my "TypeServicesPipeTimeout" to 200000 miliseconds, but this has had no affect.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?  All I need the Launchpad for is to run backups - can this be achieved in another way?

Best wishes,

Jon

• Edited by JonWill Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon,
    which security suite do you run on your machine? Maybe this interfers with connector sofware (as could also do any malware, if you got such).

Check the event log of the machine, if something brings the mentioned services to crash. Is it happening earlier or in context with the dashboard start? Did you install any client side Add-Ins?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:33 AM
  • I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall.  I've tried turning the firewall of and Launchpad will not start (not surprisingly without the services running).

In terms of Add-ins I'm running Advanced Admin Console 1.0.0 and Lights Out v1.5.1.1555 - nothing too controversial there!

I've looked at the Event log, but I am not sure how to read it or what I'm looking for :( ... the only things I can find under server are the initiations of backups...

Thanks for your help!

J

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

thats nothing uncommon and should work.

In the event log check for the services mentioned crashing (in application log or system log). When does it happen?  Or are they set to be started manually instead of automatically?

If they crash during boot (or fail to load due to connectivity issues) you can try to configured a delayed startup for these services in the services console.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:30 PM
  • OK - getting to the root of it here - A whole host of WHS service are not starting because the Windows Server Service Provider Registry service fails with this message:

The Windows Server Service Provider Registry service depends on the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service which failed to start because of the following error: 
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

And the Net.tcp port sharing service gives the following error:

The Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service failed to start due to the following error: 
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service to connect.

An additional and earlier error is:

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Server Initialization Service service to connect.

Following earlier advice (http://newleaserelease.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/windows-home-server-2011-launchpad-offline-and-net-tcp-port-sharing-service-timeout/) I have set the ServicesPipeTimeout while key in the registry to 200000 milliseconds and this is still not sorting out the problem ... any further thoughts?

Thanks again for you help!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:07 PM