Windows 7 Ultimate Promotional: MS's Position RRS feed

• Question

• I've discovered that there are a couple of companies on the web that are selling promotional versions of Win7 Ultimate full version.  One of them says that the software comes with a Retail License, a Certificate of Authenticity, but no technical support.  Another says that it comes with no Cert of Auth but that it does come with technical support.

In both cases the companies have assured me that this version has a RETAIL, not OEM, license.

I presume that both of these companies are selling the same thing:  Promotional copies that are labeled "Not For Resale".  Research into this issue has led me to case law (e.g., UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Augusto and Vernor v. Autodesk, Inc.)  that holds that sale of such "not for resale"-labeled items is indeed legal, the labeling notwithstanding.  I also understand that MS has on at least one occasion backed off on its position against the sale of NFR copies on eBay, after having had the above case law pointed out to them.

So it would appear that it's perfectly OK for me to buy and use one of those copies, and that the license should be valid and usable.
    My question is:  What is Microsoft's position on this?  Will they try to interfere with my use of the software in any way, or prevent me from authenticating it, or anything like that?

Has Microsoft issued any public statements addressing these issues?

Thanks for any information.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hello Bridgekeeper,

This forum is for the support of Windows 7 Validation (non-genuine) issue.  Your post does not appear to be related Activation or Validation issue.

I recommend the Genuine Windows Blog as a resource http://blogs.msdn.com/wga/default.aspx  It is written by Alex Kochis the Director of Genuine Windows.  

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:38 PM

All replies

• See: Copyright, Trademark, and Other Intellectual Property Rights and Microsoft’s Intellectual Property Rights

Personally, I would not pay more than $1 for NFR software as the seller obtained it free and violated their trust not to sell the software! In addition, Microsoft could retain the option to flag the software as "non-genuine" in the future.  Play it safe and only purchased a boxed, retail edition of Windows 7. 
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:47 AM
  • Hello Bridgekeeper,

This forum is for the support of Windows 7 Validation (non-genuine) issue.  Your post does not appear to be related Activation or Validation issue.

I recommend the Genuine Windows Blog as a resource http://blogs.msdn.com/wga/default.aspx  It is written by Alex Kochis the Director of Genuine Windows.  

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:38 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:38 PM