OneCare vs. Loopback Adapter RRS feed

• General discussion

• OneCare repeatedly resets the firewall location to "Public" because it wrongly identifies the Microsoft Loopback Adapter as "unknown". This disables file and printer sharing on the local private network. A loopback adapter is by definition non-routeable, so why OneCare thinks it is a problem is a bit of a mystery.

I can reset the firewall by clicking 'Change Location' but pretty soon OneCare will change it back to 'public'.

This was reported in this forum several months ago (search 'loopback') and I reported it as a bug.

When will this be fixed? Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Thanks,

JPinSL

Monday, May 12, 2008 4:34 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the problem is actually due to the fact that OneCare can't deal with multiple network adapters properly - real or virtual. When it detects multiple active adapters, the network drops to Public mode - which is a pain in the neck, to say the least.

I don't know the status of this issue for development, but I am pretty sure that it would be on the plate to be addressed. You could try the v2.5 beta, but I can't say if it was addressed therein or if it is still pending for the future as I imagine it is a fairly major part of the firewall/network coding that needs to be addressed. You can find the v2.5 beta on Connect. Note that there are no forums of newsgroups for the beta, and feedback is strictly via bug reporting.

I'll leave this thread unanswered as it really is an open problem without a solution, as far as I know.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:02 PM