WHS installation fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install WHS on a PC with adequate resources. It gets to the point where it says "ready to install windows home server". I click on the 'finish' button and it just goes back to the desktop. It never goes any further. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 5:22 PM

Answers

• When you say it goes back to the desktop are you referring back to the main installation of the program?

If so I had this same problem and it's a frustrating one at first because what its doing is installing the OS/System on a drive that is not in the same boot sequence as the order the BIOS boots it in.

In other words I had the BIOS to boot to CD-ROM 1st HDD 0 second then HDD1 third in  reality what was happening is that WHS was installing on HDD1 (bootable) and I did not realize that.

Of course after I figured out what was going on and changed the BIOS my installation was fine as yours will most likely be.

• Marked as answer by Ceoj Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:45 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:31 PM

All replies

• When you say it goes back to the desktop are you referring back to the main installation of the program?

If so I had this same problem and it's a frustrating one at first because what its doing is installing the OS/System on a drive that is not in the same boot sequence as the order the BIOS boots it in.

In other words I had the BIOS to boot to CD-ROM 1st HDD 0 second then HDD1 third in  reality what was happening is that WHS was installing on HDD1 (bootable) and I did not realize that.

Of course after I figured out what was going on and changed the BIOS my installation was fine as yours will most likely be.

• Marked as answer by Ceoj Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:45 PM
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Maybe your install problem can be fix by formatting the HDD, boot from any hard disk utilities, format the hard disk, then boot the WHS dvd.

Hope that help in your case.

My best.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Hi,

Can you check to see if you selecte the "IDE CDROM" as a boot drive do work?

As restart the computer with the dvd in that "cdrom" and the install start it.

Maybe the motherboard BIOS is old, and do not support external boot devise as in your case, the dvdrom one.

See if BIOS update for your motherbard can help.

My best.
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:35 AM
  • you might find that the ide cdrom is a generic term for cd/dvd. you could test this theory out by unplugging the cd rom ide cable and then try booting to see if the dvd gets picked up instead. You might have to change the id settings of the dvd to be the same as your cd (ie master/slave and the same channel)
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:48 PM