A communication error has occurred. Please verify that you have connectivity to the internet and try again. (0x80072EFD) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running  XP professional 2002 SP3 on an Intel Core 2 T5500 @ 1.66GHz Sony Vaio Laptop. I have Windows Firewall enabled and I have BitDefender Total Security 2010 installed. I use Mozilla Firefox browser and Mozilla Thunderbird for email, both of which donot have any problems connecting to the internet.

My problem is:

I've just installed Office Professional Plus 2010 from brand new disks, when I try to run the Activation Wizard I get:

"A communication error has occurred. Please verify that you have connectivity to the internet and try again. (0x80072EFD)"

and:

Microsoft communicator keeps throwing up the "Server temporarily unavailable" message.

I don't know if it's connected to this problem but every time I start my laptop I am prompted to download 2 updates and every time I shutdown I'm prompted to click to install the downloads. It is always the same downloads, which are:

Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

Even after downloading and successfully (apparently!) installing these updates I immediately get the Yellow Shield on the TaskBar telling me: "Updates are ready for my computer" if I click on install these updates, it is exactly the same updates again!

This is an update to the question above:

Someone answered part of the question above (the updates problem), and made quite a comprehensive attempt at providing a solution. Unfortunately I cannot find that answer again.

One part of the offered solution suggested: going to Start clicking on All Programs and then selecting Microsoft Update. This just opened Internet Explorer and said there was no connection to the internet. I ran the diagnostics, changed my Firewall settings I even made Internet Explorer my default browser and rebooted. Same problem.

I tried the other option of going to Start - Run and typing in the line he suggested (I did replace the nnnnnnn s with the relevant number) and I got a message saying it couldn't be found.

After signing up to get email alerts when someone answers my question I received the following email:

"Thank you for signing up to receive Forums Alerts. Alerts allow users to receive email notifications for replies and answers to threads they are interested in.

Please click on the following link to confirm the Forum Alerts email: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/user/validate/Q4ox3mfF2_HYt8wc790nh34b_0hGdV6bbuQQdCuuHB8=

The Forums Team
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/

Clicking the link just gave me the same error message in IE. However cutting and pasting the link address into Firefox actually worked!! And my email address is confirmed.

Am I being punished for not choosing to use Internet Explorer and Outlook as my defaults?
    Beaglejump
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:37 PM