How to use Sync Framework to access data in Linux Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing an Outlook addin application using C#.Net and I'd like to have two way data sync when a button in the outlook application is clicked. The contacts in a php web application (with MySQL DB) on Linux server has to be synchronised with the outlook contacts.

For this purpose, can we use Sync Framework ? If yes, how we I do it ? Can I use the web service to access the data ? I have downloaded Sync Framewok CTP 2.

Thanks in advance
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 5:24 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Luttapi,

I think that you can use Sync Framework to develop your scenario. Sync Framework doesn't care where the data is stored. As long as your have a way to remotely acess your data including read, insert, update and delete, it is good enough.

But you need to ensure below points in your design:
     1.  The sync provider for the linux store should be run on a windows machine. I think it is true for you since you mentioned C#.net and outlook.
     2.  Besides access your remote data, you need a way to store your sync Metadata and knowledge. If they are stored in the local window machine, it should be straightforward. But if you want to store them with your data in the linux Server, you need to provide a way for the sync provider to access them such as through your web service.

Thanks,
    Dong

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:40 AM