Cannot get past Welcome Window at End of Install RRS feed

• Question

•  

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 680460288 22 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 680460288 22 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun; mso-fareast-language:ZH-CN;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 680460288 22 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 680460288 22 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun; mso-fareast-language:ZH-CN;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have loaded WHS  and I'm at the Welcome window with the Next Arrow.  The instructions say: 

Do not click the Next arrow.

4. Do not continue with Windows Home Server Setup past this point. Press Ctrl+F4 to close the window.

So I do Ctrl F4 and I'm presented with a Desktop menu that overlays the Home Server window

but it does not close.  I cannot got anywhere except to shut down.  I have had this same

issue after reinstalling several time.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 3:28 PM

Answers

• I have loaded WHS  and I'm at the Welcome window with the Next Arrow.  The instructions say: 

4. Do not continue with Windows Home Server Setup past this point. Press Ctrl+F4 to close the window.

So I do Ctrl F4 and I'm presented with a Desktop menu that overlays the Home Server window

but it does not close.  I cannot got anywhere except to shut down.  I have had this same

That's a really strange error message.  Any chance you can get a screenshot of it, post it on a pic-hosting website, then link to it here?

As for what's causing it, are you seeing any error messages at all during the install process (besides this error message)?

• Marked as answer by YancyD66 Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:00 PM
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:36 PM
  • If that's the point I think it is, you have two choices.

My recommendation is to leave it as is and install the connector software on a computer that you want to enroll as a client of your server. That should start the OOBE process, which you'll go through on the client. This is what you would do if you bought e.g. an HP MediaSmart Server.

Your other choice is to click Next and go through OOBE directly on the server. I don't recommend this because, by design, end users should not use the server desktop. Windows Home Server is designed so that all maintenance Microsoft intends you should do can be done through the console.

BTW, please don't copy/paste out of Word into the forum...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:48 PM

All replies

• I have loaded WHS  and I'm at the Welcome window with the Next Arrow.  The instructions say: 

That's a really strange error message.  Any chance you can get a screenshot of it, post it on a pic-hosting website, then link to it here?

As for what's causing it, are you seeing any error messages at all during the install process (besides this error message)?

• Marked as answer by YancyD66 Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:00 PM
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:36 PM
  • If that's the point I think it is, you have two choices.

My recommendation is to leave it as is and install the connector software on a computer that you want to enroll as a client of your server. That should start the OOBE process, which you'll go through on the client. This is what you would do if you bought e.g. an HP MediaSmart Server.

Your other choice is to click Next and go through OOBE directly on the server. I don't recommend this because, by design, end users should not use the server desktop. Windows Home Server is designed so that all maintenance Microsoft intends you should do can be done through the console.

BTW, please don't copy/paste out of Word into the forum...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:48 PM