Checking all the WHS shared files RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I have installed an WHS Oem version on my server

Waiting for the new WHS Power Pack 1 beta, I have read  in the Power Pack 1 beta doc, that a check for data corruption must be done first

I have near of .. 2To data, so.. it's quite impossible

Many softs can do that, but  to check a big amount of data files, I founded a small Freeware which can be installed and works fine on WHS : 

CheckFolder , from Dominetrix.org

Perhaps, it can help somebody Smile

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:02 PM

All replies

•  

Is this a good way to check if my WHS is affected by the corruption bug????

Dag

Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Not really, I'm afraid. A file that has been damaged by KB946676 displays a specific signature, but it's a readable file. CheckFolder only checks to see if a file can be read, so it doesn't detect the corruption caused by that issue.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 12:04 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Not really, I'm afraid. A file that has been damaged by KB946676 displays a specific signature, but it's a readable file. CheckFolder only checks to see if a file can be read, so it doesn't detect the corruption caused by that issue.

******** ! Sad

Can WHS team give us a tool to find the WHS corruption bug ?

Most of my main data has been copied on WHS and on a backup NAS

-> How can I be sure that they are the same ?

Thanks Smile
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 3:59 PM
  • If you have two copies of the same files - stored on the WHS and the NAS, then a quick search on your favourite search engine should show numerous programs that can compare two particular files. The problem with the bug, is when you only have one copy, in which case there is nothing to compare to. In that case, at present, as there are so many possible file types, the only way to be fully sure is to open each individual file.

Colin

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:30 PM
  •  Jean-Max wrote:
    Can WHS team give us a tool to find the WHS corruption bug ?

Most of my main data has been copied on WHS and on a backup NAS

-> How can I be sure that they are the same ?

Thanks
    No, the team can't really give us a tool. The signature of KB946676 is something that is actually legitimate data in many file types. The only way to determine for certain that a file is corrupted is to know what the contents of the file should be and inspect the suspect file.

The only way we can be sure is to take occasional hashes (CRC32, MD5, etc.) and look for unexpected changes. Note that many files will have changed legitimately, particularly if you're editing files on your server (a prerequisite for experiencing this issue). For example, most media players edit every file they play, writing to the ID3 tags to update play counts, ratings, etc. so a hash, by itself, isn't enough.
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:50 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

If you have two copies of the same files - stored on the WHS and the NAS, then a quick search on your favourite search engine should show numerous programs that can compare two particular files. The problem with the bug, is when you only have one copy, in which case there is nothing to compare to. In that case, at present, as there are so many possible file types, the only way to be fully sure is to open each individual file.

Colin

Thanks !

.. But, how to compare a big amount of files one by one, stored in 2 different networked PC (My WHS and my Backup NAS) ,and ..  this comparison launched from a third PC ?  (My main networked PC)

Most of founded File Compare freeware work one file by one file :
    .. And it's impossible to do  : I have near of 2 To Multimedia files ..

Thanks for all Smile
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  Jean-Max wrote:

Most of founded File Compare freeware work one file by one file :
    .. And it's impossible to do  : I have near of 2 To Multimedia files ..

Yep. Could not find any freeware tooling that could easely check my files. Used Microsofts windiff.exe. It does the job but is slow (mainly because it needs to read both the original and copy for comparing)

So I decided to program a little tool that could make a list of CRC/hash values. Basically it scans any directory tree to calculate or check MD5 hash values. The hash values are then stored in a database (actually an XML file).

Based on this the tool can then validate the (original- or backup-) directory tree for changes. It also can update the hash database for changes in existing and/or new files. It's beta and the userinterface is 'basic'. It works for me but if you are interested in checking it out, please let me know.

As far as I know the tool has two drawbacks:

1. Comparing all files directly on the shares makes WHS a bit nervouse: DEmigrator service will start 'balancing' all files touched.
    2. The tool can not validate the server share root so it must be run for each WHS share separately.

Theo.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 9:56 PM
  • "a little tool that could make a list of CRC/hash values. Basically it scans any directory tree to calculate or check MD5 hash values. The hash values are then stored in a database (actually an XML file)."

Interesting !

But one question :

My WHS Multimedia files (Audio MP3) have been tagged by adding music infos, cover.etc..  founded by J River Media Center software  intalled on my main client PC (and perhaps by some access from an MCE 2005 PC  and an Vista MCE PC)

But ... : My Backup files on NAS were not

-> So...   there will be difference inside each couple of files ?

Thanks for your ideas Smile

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Beyond Compare 2 can handle this fine. That's what I've done http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Hope it helps

Dag

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:34 PM
  •  Jean-Max wrote:

-> So...   there will be difference inside each couple of files ?

If the files MP3-tags themselves are changed, yes.

Maybe you should have a look at "Beyond Compare 2" as daghood mentioned.

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:43 PM