E-Mail gets sent again when converting to opportunity using Microsoft Office Outlook Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

We do have an issue with CRM 4.0 on Rollup 14.

I our setup all users work with the Microsoft Office Outlook Client.

The steps to this issue are as follows:

1. User creates an email in Outlook, marks it to track in CRM and send to a potential customer
    2. The customer responds to this email and the user converts the initial email to an opportunity
    3. During this process the initial email gets sent again to the customer

This behavior is absolutely not wanted and I do have currently no clue why this is happening. I have already checked every plug-in, JavaScript code and workflow for the corresponding entities.

The next odd thing about this behavior of CRM is that if I start with an email activity in CRM and converting this one to an opportunity, the email is not sent again.

Can anybody help with this case, please?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:22 PM

Answers

• I've posted this issue in Microsoft Connect and thankfully got an answer (link), which translates to: "Yes, it's a bug in CRM 4, but we won't fix it. Use CRM 2011 or live with a workaround, which is to uncheck the Close Email form when converting to Opportunity."

Well, yeah, at least the weekend is coming up...

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:38 AM

All replies

• For your step 3, do you mean you can see 2 same email activities in the CRM activity list with status "Sent" and "Completed"? Actually, when you convert the initial email to an opportunity,  the email is not sent for the second time. Regarding the 2 email activities in CRM, one represent the email tracked in CRM in your step1, the other represent the email activity has been converted to oppotunity successfully.

You can have a test, set your email address as the customer. You will find that you won't reveive the same email twice.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Jackie Chen Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:58 AM
  • We have exactly the same problem (UR14).

> For your step 3, do you mean you can see 2 same email activities in the CRM activity list with status "Sent" and "Completed"?

No, there is still only one email activity in the CRM activity list, but two of them in the Outlook "sent items" folder.

> Actually, when you convert the initial email to an opportunity,  the email is not sent for the second time.

I beg to differ. The customer contact confirms this, as well as some tests we performed. The duplicate e-mail gets sent as soon as the opportunity-dialogue is opened (you don't have to save or edit the opportunity).

On the other hand, if the email is sent out of a CRM form instead of an Outlook form, the duplicate email does not occur when converting the email to an opportunity. We propagate this as a workaround, but constantly get bashed about it by our users.

Thanks for looking into this.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:35 PM
  • One addition to my previous post: We just updated to Update Rollup 17, which did not solve this issue.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:26 AM
  • [polite bump] Can anyone reproduce this?
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:05 AM
  • I've posted this issue in Microsoft Connect and thankfully got an answer (link), which translates to: "Yes, it's a bug in CRM 4, but we won't fix it. Use CRM 2011 or live with a workaround, which is to uncheck the Close Email form when converting to Opportunity."

Well, yeah, at least the weekend is coming up...

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:38 AM