Airport Extreme and Trouble using Desktop Connection software RRS feed

• Question

• I have set the NAT for the Airport Extreme, and the software is performing back ups.  However, I cannot connect using the Remote Connection software.  Has anyone had any experience with this router for this issue?  These are computers that are on the home network and not ones from outside the network.
    Steve
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:42 PM

Answers

• Well after doing EVERYTHING, I finally just went into the Airport Extreme and changed the base of the IP addresses back to
    192.168.2.xxx  which was the old settings.  Everything worked them.  I expect these were someplace but in any case the issue is resolved.

Thanks for your time.

Steve
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:59 AM

All replies

• SDormanMKE said:

I have set the NAT for the Airport Extreme, and the software is performing back ups.  However, I cannot connect using the Remote Connection software.  Has anyone had any experience with this router for this issue?  These are computers that are on the home network and not ones from outside the network.

Steve

Do you mean you are unable to access your computers at home from outside your home using the Remote Access website?  If so, is it just the Remote Desktop connection that doesn't work (meaning you can still get to your files on the server through the website)?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Here is the setup:  all I did was change routers, from a Barricade to an Airport Extreme.  I did nothing else to the network computers.  I think there must be some setting in the Extreme that is not set right.  One thing that I had to do was change all the base addresses to 10.0.1.xx, but I have all of these automatically assigned except the server that is set to 10.0.1.200.  Here are the symptoms:

1.  All computers seem to be able to be backed up on the server.  There is SOME connection to the server.  When I boot one of the network computers, it informs me that one of the network computers has not been backed up (I know.. its offline), and the connection icon is yellow with an exclamation point.

2.  However, from the network computers, I cannot connect to the Server Console, OR access the shared file space.  It says that \\Server is not accessible.  Discovery.exe completes its task just fine, but when its done, I still can't access the console or the file spaces.

I have set Ports 80, 443, and and 1138 and 8912 to the server IP address. (10.0.1.200).
    I can ping 10.0.1.200 but I cannot "ping server" or "ping \\server"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The documentation with the Airport Extreme is awful.

Steve
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:02 PM
  • SDormanMKE said:

Here is the setup:  all I did was change routers, from a Barricade to an Airport Extreme.  I did nothing else to the network computers.  I think there must be some setting in the Extreme that is not set right.  One thing that I had to do was change all the base addresses to 10.0.1.xx, but I have all of these automatically assigned except the server that is set to 10.0.1.200.  Here are the symptoms:

1.  All computers seem to be able to be backed up on the server.  There is SOME connection to the server.  When I boot one of the network computers, it informs me that one of the network computers has not been backed up (I know.. its offline), and the connection icon is yellow with an exclamation point.

2.  However, from the network computers, I cannot connect to the Server Console, OR access the shared file space.  It says that \\Server is not accessible.  Discovery.exe completes its task just fine, but when its done, I still can't access the console or the file spaces.

I have set Ports 80, 443, and and 1138 and 8912 to the server IP address. (10.0.1.200).
    I can ping 10.0.1.200 but I cannot "ping server" or "ping \\server"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The documentation with the Airport Extreme is awful.

Steve

Did you ever modify the hosts file on your client PCs?  Have you tried unplugging the cable between the modem and the router, then pinging the server by name (by the way, ping \\server will not work anyway, don't use the slashes when you ping)?  Can you run an ipconfig /all on both your client and server and post it here?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Well after doing EVERYTHING, I finally just went into the Airport Extreme and changed the base of the IP addresses back to
    192.168.2.xxx  which was the old settings.  Everything worked them.  I expect these were someplace but in any case the issue is resolved.

Thanks for your time.

Steve
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:59 AM