Hibernate?? RRS feed

• Question

• How to enable hibernate option in Windows XP ? what is the basic advantage of it ?
    Monday, February 19, 2007 1:26 PM

Answers

• Microsoft windows2000 and later support hibernation at the operating system level without special drivers from the hardware manufacturer. The file is called "hiberfil.sys" and is the same size as total RAM. The file resides in the root of the system partition, usually "C:\hiberfil.sys". The file is a hidden system file. Windows 98 and Me also supported hibernation and required half the amount of disk space of the computer's Ram. Usually, on Windows computers, hibernation is available only if all the hardware is Plug and Play and all the drivers are PnP-compatible.

To enable hibernate..

control pannel>Performance and Maintenance>POWER OPTIONS > HIBERNATE.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:40 PM

All replies

• Microsoft windows2000 and later support hibernation at the operating system level without special drivers from the hardware manufacturer. The file is called "hiberfil.sys" and is the same size as total RAM. The file resides in the root of the system partition, usually "C:\hiberfil.sys". The file is a hidden system file. Windows 98 and Me also supported hibernation and required half the amount of disk space of the computer's Ram. Usually, on Windows computers, hibernation is available only if all the hardware is Plug and Play and all the drivers are PnP-compatible.

To enable hibernate..

control pannel>Performance and Maintenance>POWER OPTIONS > HIBERNATE.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:40 PM
  • hibernation sucks!!

the whole deal of it.. it many-a-times screws up the entire procedure of loading up resulting in hard reset of the computer system. 2 out of 10 times hibernation fails for me

any reason you could point out?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Hibernation does not suck, Just you need to check where the problem is.

I use Hibernation everytime and every thing is fine...I have no problem.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:20 AM
  • Control Panel>Power Option>Hibernate tab>enable hibernate>Advanced tab>select Hibernate on option - when i press the sleep button on my computer>apply>Ok.

Advantage: Now when u will press sleep button on keybord ur sys. will hibernate, the use of it that u can resume ur windows quickly from where last time u left ur work.

Disadvantage: But it takes lot of Memory, so check ur PC memory status before configuring Hibernate.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:32 AM