Why didn't my Windows PC w/Vista Home Premium come with an installation disc? RRS feed

• Question

• (NO, my question was not answered within the links provided)

I've had many a Microsoft PC, starting with Windows 3.1 and then my beloved and sorely missed XP... my last purchase was just under the wire of Win7 (it was out, but I was still able to get a PC with Vista) Yeah, I'm a bit resistant to change ;) Anyway, in 3.1 and XP, an installation disc always came with the PC, in case a re-installation of the op. system was necessary.  I know I'm not the first person to ask this, but I'd love to be the first person to actually receive an answer instead of the usual run-around: Why didn't my PC with Vista Home Premium come with an installation disc?

OH, yeah I was told in the store that I didn't need one because of the fancy new recovery partition. AND the product keys are right on the machine. But here's the problem: One day out of nowhere my LEGITIMATE, bought and paid for copy of Vista started blasting a message that it needed activation! I go through all the steps, call the toll-free number and what-do-ya-know, they *just can't help me* and I HAVE TO RE-INSTALL VISTA.

Well now. 

I don't have that installation disc that I inquired about when I bought my PC, now do I? Seems like a nice little scam Microsoft is running

-----------

So, like many people caught up in this activation/no disc/yet legitimate copy issue, I am faced with a quandary, do I:

1. Throw money away on a Vista installation disc - something that should be mine anyway? 
    2. Obtain an illegal, bootleg copy of Vista? (Does it not occur to Microsoft that by screwing over their customers in this manner they are in essence not just losing customers but may be creating the software pirates they so like to rail against. Do they not realize that obtaining a bootleg copy of Windows would never even occur to some people -yeah, there's always going to be the folks who do it just cuz they can, I know- but for the fact that they've been put in a position where it's either pay more money for something they should have had in the first place... or get it for free. Is there even a question there? I'm not saying that I would ever stoop to bootlegging software, but I have spent tens of thousands of dollars with Microsoft, bought 4 PC's and several laptops in my lifetime. Why the HELL am I going to pay to purchase the installation disc of Windows Vista that should have come with my PC -remember, I even asked for it!- BUT DIDN'T... because, oh yes, that's right... I wouldn't need it.
    3. Treat Microsoft the way it has treated me and just turn my back?

For me, the last option is the best one. Despite numerous calls to support and customer service where I have outlined these very facts, even when the help desk operator admitted to agreeing with me (yes, you should have a copy since Vista came with your PC...)

They are still unable - or unwilling - to help me. (...but I can't help you. Would you like me to direct you to sales?)

--------

I'm going to finally got over my resistance to change and go open source. Linux, here I come!

Microsoft: You lost one hell of a customer!

- lissarae@gmail.com
    • Edited by Lissaraeya Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:54 PM contact info
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:51 PM

Answers

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

If you can't access the desktop....

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
     1) Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
     2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
     3) A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”
     4) When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button (IGNORE any error messages at this point).
     5) Return to this thread
    6) In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report (by right-click select Paste or by using Ctrl+V)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:23 AM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

If you can't access the desktop....

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
     1) Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
     2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
     3) A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”
     4) When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button (IGNORE any error messages at this point).
     5) Return to this thread
    6) In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report (by right-click select Paste or by using Ctrl+V)

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:23 AM
  • What is the specific make and model number of your PC?

Carey Frisch

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:50 PM
  • What is the specific make and model number of your PC?

Carey Frisch

Thank you for your response.

It's a It's a Dell Inspiron 530 Series, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. Where would I find the model number? //EDIT I see where the model number would be from the response above this one. I'll respond again with that information. //EDIT

///EDIT AGAIN - Thanks, but neither of you actually answered my question. Merely walked me through the steps of Activation that I've gone through SO MANY TIMES BEFORE. In the meantime, I have been making the switch to Linux, and it's lovely. ///END EDIT
    • Edited by Lissaraeya Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:45 AM
  • We cannot realistically answer your question until you provide DATA so the we have some idea of what your situation is.

Provide the data and we can help.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:13 AM