Changing Workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to change the value of the Workgroup? By default, my HP MediaSmart Server is in a workgroup called Workgroup. This is not interesting enough for me. I would like to change the workgroup value to be consistent with the rest of the systems in my home.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:07 AM

Answers

• There's no supported way to change the workgroup on your server, and no need (all Windows Home Server functions work independent of the workgroup that it's a part of).

That said, changing the workgroup is pretty safe. You'll need to log in to your server's desktop using Remote Desktop and change it as you would on any XP or Windows Server 2003 computer. Warning: Remote Desktop is an unsupported way to access your server; a warning will display regarding the potential for problems when you do so. Changing the workgroup is safe enough, but there are other changes you can make, using tools familiar from other operating systems, which can cause pretty severe issues (including significant data loss). So please be careful, and don't make a habit of it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:24 AM