Clean install help with OEM Key on Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for any advice on getting a 'clean' install of XP Pro on a new Sony Vaio laptop.  The laptop ships with the usual OEM XP OS on a disc that Sony bundles with tons of bloatware.  The Sony OS CD also formats to FAT32.

I'd like to do a clean install of XP Pro in NTFS from a Microsoft install disc, yet still be able to use the OEM product key that I purchased with the laptop.  I hope it's possible somehow.

Is is possible that I could use a WGA kit CD I obtained from Microsoft in the past for the laptop install and utilize the laptop's OEM key to validate?  Sony told me I'd have to use a retail key purchased elsewhere.  I'm not sure if they have it right.

Thanks for your time and expertise. Smile

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:05 AM

Answers

• Onenet,

You could use the Sony supplied CD to do a clean installation or recovery as the case may be, then uninstall any unwanted programs (the correct term under these circumstances would be "shovelware" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelware ] ), then use the convert command to convert the file system to NTFS [ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097/en-us ].  Not a perfect answer, but something to consider.

To use the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity on your Sony, you must use either the Sony-supplied recovery/reinstallation CD or a generic Microsoft systembuilder/OEM hologrammed CDROM for the edition of XP that shows on the CoA, which you stated is XP Pro.  (As an aside, most manufacturer-supplied recovery discs do not require the input of a PK.)  The PK on the CoA will be accepted by XP Setup, but cannot be automatically activated online.  In order to activate once Setup is complete, follow the steps in this MS KB  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890 to do a Telephonic activation.

Programs and drivers that are necessary for the proper function of your exact model of Sony will NOT be on the generic Microsoft XP CDROM, so you will have to download them, if available, from the Sony support page for your exact model.  Personally I have found Sony to be one of the better manufacturers in that regard, but that is no guarantee that you can download everything you need.

The XP CDROM supplied with the WGA Kit is a full retail license CD, so it will NOT accept the OEM PK.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Dan,
    In my numerous years of communicating in forums, I doubt whether I have seen an answer out there that is more concise and helpful than the one you just provided.  You've made it very clear to understand this issue.  Oh, and the 'shovelware' term makes more sense, too.

Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Onenet,

You're welcome!

Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Brilliant, just what I needed!

But (no offence, Dan@IT Associates) where do Microsoft provide this crucial little piece of info? I need to provide a source for this, and thought that surely MS online documentation would explain all this... but I can find nothing!

Any pointers gratefully received!
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Sew000001,

Info has been gathered from reading lots of posts on the internet from people who have experimented; experimenting myself; and paying a lot of attention to the details.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 1:43 PM

All replies

• Onenet,

You could use the Sony supplied CD to do a clean installation or recovery as the case may be, then uninstall any unwanted programs (the correct term under these circumstances would be "shovelware" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelware ] ), then use the convert command to convert the file system to NTFS [ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097/en-us ].  Not a perfect answer, but something to consider.

To use the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity on your Sony, you must use either the Sony-supplied recovery/reinstallation CD or a generic Microsoft systembuilder/OEM hologrammed CDROM for the edition of XP that shows on the CoA, which you stated is XP Pro.  (As an aside, most manufacturer-supplied recovery discs do not require the input of a PK.)  The PK on the CoA will be accepted by XP Setup, but cannot be automatically activated online.  In order to activate once Setup is complete, follow the steps in this MS KB  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890 to do a Telephonic activation.

Programs and drivers that are necessary for the proper function of your exact model of Sony will NOT be on the generic Microsoft XP CDROM, so you will have to download them, if available, from the Sony support page for your exact model.  Personally I have found Sony to be one of the better manufacturers in that regard, but that is no guarantee that you can download everything you need.

The XP CDROM supplied with the WGA Kit is a full retail license CD, so it will NOT accept the OEM PK.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Dan,
    In my numerous years of communicating in forums, I doubt whether I have seen an answer out there that is more concise and helpful than the one you just provided.  You've made it very clear to understand this issue.  Oh, and the 'shovelware' term makes more sense, too.

Thank you very much for your time and expertise.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Onenet,

You're welcome!

Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Brilliant, just what I needed!

But (no offence, Dan@IT Associates) where do Microsoft provide this crucial little piece of info? I need to provide a source for this, and thought that surely MS online documentation would explain all this... but I can find nothing!

Any pointers gratefully received!
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Sew000001,

Info has been gathered from reading lots of posts on the internet from people who have experimented; experimenting myself; and paying a lot of attention to the details.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 1:43 PM