none
Error Code 80240020 On windows 10 update

Question

• When trying to install the Windows 10 upgrade I have been repeatedly had the same errors happen over and over ( Code 80240020  has happened at least 8 times)  I have tried a fix on reddit(copy and pasted below) and had no luck as well as a another one that reset the background Intelligent transfer service as well as changing some of the properties.  I have also tried to change the windows update service properties (by properties with both of these I mean making sure they are set to automatic startup, applying and then restarting the service).  All of these options have not fixed my issue with the download.  I have had the same issues with custom builds, surface pros and a dell tower as well.  Anyone have any other suggestions to fix my issue? I have listed the error codes at the bottom.  The versions of windows 10 I have been trying to install are Windows Home 10 and windows 10 Pro 

Reddit fix:

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
    1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

EDIT: For those who still have issues, several users reported that setting their time forward (to the First of August for example) and then doing the above steps again helped them resolve the issue

Error Codes:

Code 80240020 (on all 3 systems)

Code 80200001 (on just one system <- issues possibly resolved with DISM tool)

Code 80246007 (on just one system <- issues possibly resolved with DISM tool)

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:34 PM Looking for the proper forum.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 Community forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 Community forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

Karl

Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hello,

I just wanted to say, I kept getting the same error over and over and over again while everyone else upgraded to windows 10 expect for me.  I noticed that my pc was trying to upgrade but I kept getting the error.  So, I searched for the error and came across this page, followed your easy instructions and it worked. Thank you so much.  I also tried following microsofts instructions over and over again, needless to say, it of course didn't work and was not helpful at all.  Thanks.

Sunday, September 13, 2015 12:09 AM