Switched to dedicated IP for internet.. now no remote access RRS feed

• Question

•  I recently switched my broadband to having a dedicated ip address.  now my xxx.homeserver.com  always fails when trying to access.
    What do i need to do to restore my remote access.  haven't assigned a dedicated address to my whs only the modem.

thanks.
    Wannabe Geek
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:22 AM

Answers

• Victimized by Comcast.   The business package you have to use their modem.  On their modem, there is a firewall.  My router has firewall that was communicating great with WHS.  but....  theirs... was blocking.

Thanks to all for your help. 
    Wannabe Geek
    • Marked as answer by Kolz Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:46 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    did you already try to unconfigure/reconfigure Remote Access and the domain on your WHS console in Settings/Remote Access?

What was involved into the change of the IP address? Eventually a new router, or the router powered off or reset? In this case your home server may now have a different IP address locally, so that port forwarding is not longer pointing to the proper address - or there is no port forwarding at all (ports 80, 443 and 4125 should be forwarded to the internal IP address of your server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:54 AM
  • What's is the specific error message(s) when you fail connecting?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:39 PM
  •  IE can't find the address.  Generic IE can't display page
    Wannabe Geek
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:00 PM
  • On your PC, from a command prompt (Go Run, type in cmd and press Enter), do a "ping <IP addrees of your router>"
    If that success, do a "ping <hostname>"   Do not include quotation marks of brackets

Show what you get ....
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:41 PM
  •  i can ping the gateway ip address of the router but cannot ping the "ip" address of the router.

the host name translates to the ip address of the router when i try to ping the host name.

Wannabe Geek
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Sounds like you are using a PC from your internal network, doing a ping to your default gateway (Router's internet IP) and get a reply.  That means your the physical path from that PC to the internal router's interface is good.
    Now, your WHS has an internal IP, do a ping to that IP.  If you get a reply, that means the physical path from the PC to WHS is good.  In which case, use the IP address in place of the hostname (I mean in a browser type in http://IP/) and see if you can bring up the server homepage.
    Apparently, if you don't get a reply, there is a problem with physical connection or the IP of the WHS is not a valid one.  Check cables, plugins, etc... then check if the WHS has an IP that is in the same subnet with the internet router's IP.
    Post your result here ....
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I forgot to say that what I'm trying to do is make sure you see the WHS on the local network by verifying that TCP/IP stack is correctly configured and all connections up to layer 3 of the network is properly setup.  I will get to name resolution (hostname stuff), HTTP protocol, certificates, etc...later.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Victimized by Comcast.   The business package you have to use their modem.  On their modem, there is a firewall.  My router has firewall that was communicating great with WHS.  but....  theirs... was blocking.

Thanks to all for your help. 
    Wannabe Geek
    • Marked as answer by Kolz Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:46 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:41 AM