Restore problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a older Dell P3 running XP Pro as a client. It's been backed up to WHS RC1 for a few weeks now. My user id on the client got scrambled, and not being able to fix it, figured that this would be a good time to test restore function.

Booted to the restore disk, but get error 'unable to find server'. As I had changed name from server to nnnnnn-nnnnn on installing WHS, I clicked to find server manually, entered my servers name, still no joy.

On searching this forum I find that some older PCs do not have a network driver that restore loads, so, I copied the driver for my 3com nic - el90xbc5 - to a usb device, ran restore again, found that the window for network devices was blank, while the other window on that dialog showed my hard drive, a few other items, and the USB device.

However, on clicking scan, the driver is never found.

Suggestions?

Monday, September 3, 2007 11:10 PM

Answers

• If you can still boot the Dell client, you should be able to find a folder in the root of one of the hard drives a folder called

"Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" or something to that effect. Copy the folder to a usb device and then try the restore again. This folder is made by WHS so that it contains the drivers necessary for restoring the pc.

If you can't find such a folder on the client itself, you'll need to open up a backup using the WHS console (note that you need to do this on a client; a rdc sesssion with the server doesn't allow opening backups). To do this, open up the console>>Computers & Backup>>right-click "Client Computer">>view backups. Double-click one of the backups, choose a volume and then click open to open up a backup (you'll need admin rights on the pc to open up a complete volume backup as it mounts the backup as a drive, e.g. E: ). In the "backup drive" you'll find the folder called "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" which you can copy to a usb drive for use in restore.

If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what you can do. If the drivers that WHS collects for restore don't work, then it is most likely that the problem is hardware as the drivers should definitely be readable by the restore process.

Hopefully you can now get the restore process to work,

Davo

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:19 AM

All replies

• If you can still boot the Dell client, you should be able to find a folder in the root of one of the hard drives a folder called

"Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" or something to that effect. Copy the folder to a usb device and then try the restore again. This folder is made by WHS so that it contains the drivers necessary for restoring the pc.

If you can't find such a folder on the client itself, you'll need to open up a backup using the WHS console (note that you need to do this on a client; a rdc sesssion with the server doesn't allow opening backups). To do this, open up the console>>Computers & Backup>>right-click "Client Computer">>view backups. Double-click one of the backups, choose a volume and then click open to open up a backup (you'll need admin rights on the pc to open up a complete volume backup as it mounts the backup as a drive, e.g. E: ). In the "backup drive" you'll find the folder called "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" which you can copy to a usb drive for use in restore.

If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what you can do. If the drivers that WHS collects for restore don't work, then it is most likely that the problem is hardware as the drivers should definitely be readable by the restore process.

Hopefully you can now get the restore process to work,

Davo

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:19 AM
  • PIP -

Couldn't find the folder on my C:, but did find it on a backup. Copied the folder to a USB pen, booted the restore CD, drivers were found, and now restoring the client C: drive as I type this.

23 minutes to see what a WHS restore looks like.

Thx,

Gene

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Glad to hear you've got it working, Gene.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Dang! And another problem.

Twice I've run the restore to conclusion, only to have it terminate with an error message that there was a network issue.

So, just started 3rd restore after rebooting client, but don't expect a different result, guess I'll start still another thread.

Edit: Well, it took 5 tries, but finally got a sucessful restore.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 3:01 AM
  • I just tried to run a restore of my Windows Media Center computer.  I booted from the PC Restore CD, found the WHS and backup file.  When the screen came up showing what backup to restore and where to restore it, the only option available was to restore to my D drive which contains my computer restore partition.  There was a red X on the option to restore to my C drive.  Has anyone experienced this problem and have a solution?  I've checked the backup of this computer and everything is set up properly and I can browse the files.  I want to do a full restore in order to get rid of some spyware that I've encountered.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I had a very similar problem. For some reason, although I had copied the "Windows Home Server Drivers" folder into a USB stick, during the restore, it could not find my primary SCSI drive. I went to lookup the hard drive driver under Computer > Manage > Storage. I copied it from C:/Windows/System32/Drivers to the memory stick and it worked.

Good luck.

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:38 AM
  • My drive went bad so I replaced it with a larger drive.  When I booted the PC and started the restore I had drivers for wireless addon card but not the wired card that was built in to my laptop.  I found the restore drivers folder and installed the wired NIC card but lost my hard drive.  I saw the hard drive in the bottom of the driver screen but after I scanned the USB for NIC driver it deleted the hard drive.  How do I do my restore without it?
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:29 AM
  • DScruton said:

My drive went bad so I replaced it with a larger drive.  When I booted the PC and started the restore I had drivers for wireless addon card but not the wired card that was built in to my laptop.  I found the restore drivers folder and installed the wired NIC card but lost my hard drive.  I saw the hard drive in the bottom of the driver screen but after I scanned the USB for NIC driver it deleted the hard drive.  How do I do my restore without it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "lost my hard drive", but you can connect your hard drive to another client and run the restore function from there.  It's under C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.  (Just make sure you restore to the correct hard drive.)
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:41 AM