Windows Vista/ subscribe to OneCare- but now windows will not start up need help to save files RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please know that I am not an IT person. I have windows Vista, subscribe to OneCare, but managed to still either get a virus on my computer or something has happened so that windows will not start up.
    Here is the message I am getting. It is a quick blue screen (says that windows has shut down, please disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentationor backup utilities, Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.  and then gives the technical information :
    "STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190444, 0X86A692B0, 0XC0000102, 0X00000000)

I have:
    1. tried to start in safe mode - will not start
    2. done the f2, f9, f10, f11 and checked the memory and also the hardware- each passed the tests
    3. tried to "fix windows" using vista disk, but didn't work
    4. tried to "reinstall vista" using vista disk, but it would not let me do the install that would save the files, said it had been disabled. The only choice I had was to install without saving files. I NEED MY FILES- I HAVE SO MANY PICTURES THAT I CANNOT LOSE.
    5. looked on windows and looked at a hotfix, got the hotfix email - but how am I suppossed to install the hotfix from my daughters computer onto my computer?
    6. No, I have not "backed up the files" because each time I tried, and I have tried at least 20 times- it would say back up failed because not enough room (but I really do not have that many files on the computer. I think it was trying to back up all the programs and not just files).

My computer is an hp pavilion dv6833us (entertainment pc)
    What good is this oneCare subscription, if my computer has totally died without warning?? Please help. Thanks so much
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Monday, July 6, 2009 4:17 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, July 6, 2009 4:18 AM (From:Windows Live OneCare General)
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:51 PM

All replies

• This stop error is not caused by malware but by a file system error. This should be repairable using the Recovery Console but if you have never used the Recovery Console and you have data on your drive that you cannot lose I suggest contacting Support at the Vista Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab5 At the bottom of the page there is a link for contacting support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:29 PM