OCS 2007 ResKit Designer not working RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've installed on a couple of machines now and the OCSDesigner.exe fails to run yielding the error that OCSDesigner.exe has stopped working..  Does anyone know if Vista is the problem? 

Thanks

Dino

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:33 PM

All replies

• Try to install on the OCS server

Deli

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:03 PM
  • along with Visio?  I don't want/can't install on servers.

Thanks

Dino

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:28 PM
  • No you are right that is not what you want.

Do try to install the OCS Administration tools on your desktop before running that tool

Deli

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Yes they were already installed.  Perhaps a Vista issue.  I'm running Vista Ultimate.  Reinstalled admin tools with same issue

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I installed the resource kit on severeal Computers (Vista 64 Bit, Windows Server 2003 without OCS, Windows Server 2003 with OCS; Visio 2007 on all machines) but the Topology Designer is not working.

Does anyone manage to get the Topology Designer running?

thanks,

thomas

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:07 PM
  •  

I receive a System.IO.FileLoadException error in OCSDesigner.exe when I try to run this on Vista Enterprise. 

I tried running it in compatibility mode, but that doesn't seem to help.  Does anyone have Vista SP1 Beta to test with?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:42 PM
  •  

Same here.  ResKit installed fine, had to install the Visual C++ Redist. 

XP Pro.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 6:51 PM
  •  

I have the same issue and so do 5 other engineers at our office. We tried the MSI from the resource kit book and from the download. All of us run vista and it comes up with the same error as everyone else. I am hoping someone will come up with a fix soon.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 1:48 AM
  • I have the same issue running Windows XP SP2 and SP3. Any one spoken to Microsoft? Has anyone had any feedback?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:11 AM
  • I have the same problem with Vissta Ultimate SP1.  We had hoped the designer would help make our architects lives easier, but it clearly hasn't been well tested.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:09 PM
  •  

That RESKIT designer is not what you want... trust me.  It is a pain to setup.  It will also not make your lives easier as an architect.

You want the OCS Planning Tool that was just released...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06793661-CD69-4490-BB4B-E97DD271209D&displaylang=en

I would hope that after a few times using this tool to validate your architecture, you would trust your own skills and go on without it Smile

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:03 AM
  • The Reskit designer never worked for me either. Tried it on XP SP2, Vista x86 and Vista x64. Always crashes. The Planning Tool isn't anything great either - the diagrams are always cut off no matter what resolution I'm running my monitor at. Anyone else seeing that too?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:48 PM
  • Dino,

Vista was not a supported OS for the release. Only Windows Server 2003 is supported, although some have installed on XP.

The most unfortunate problem is that because it is a resource kit tool, there is limited to no support for it.

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:19 PM