Missing function - More actions menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, I wanted to share a response I recieved directly from one of our CRM users. Please read below regarding their issue, I've not been able to successfully resolve their issue and hope to get pointed in the right direction. We are using MS CRM 4, Roll-Up 5. Many thanks for your help and assistance.

"I discovered that now we cannot simply remove a Contact from an Account, which used to be an option in the “More Actions” dropdown.  There are now several options, but “Remove” is no longer there.  And if you choose the delete option (“X”), it deletes the Contact from CRM entirely, forcing you to first write down all the info., delete the Contact, close the Account and then re-create the Contact…  a cumbersome process that used to be accomplished with two clicks!

Can we have the “Remove” choice back?"

Monday, August 23, 2010 6:02 PM

Answers

• You can open the contact record and remove or change the Parent Customer field value.  This has the same effect as 'Remove'

Regards, Donna

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:48 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I don't think it existed between Accounts & Contacts.  I've seen this with other record types, but not from the list of Contacts associated with the Account. If they had some custom relationships between the two entities, it might have created that type of link and exposed the feature.  

You're welcome

Regards, Donna

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:02 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Remove option generally comes for N:N relatioonship ..have you had N:N relationship previosly which now chnage in to 1:N relationship? or is the out of box relationship you are taking here?
    MayankP My Blog My twitter
    Monday, August 23, 2010 10:06 PM
    Answerer
  • In a test environment, go to Settings, Customization, Customize Entities and open the Account entity.  Go to N:N Relationships and select New Many 2 Many and create a new relationship with Contacts.  Call it Test Contact or something like that and choose to Display the relationship.   

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:02 PM
  • That should do it.  Now you can add or create a new Test Contact record and you should see the option to remove from the action menu when you are on the Account record where you added the Test Contact.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• You can open the contact record and remove or change the Parent Customer field value.  This has the same effect as 'Remove'

Regards, Donna

Monday, August 23, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Donna! I will recommend this to the user. I suspect the remove function from the "More Actions" dropdown was a customization that had not been documented, but I can can't confirm it existed.

Would there be a way to return/add that function to an Account?

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:18 PM
  • I don't think it existed between Accounts & Contacts.  I've seen this with other record types, but not from the list of Contacts associated with the Account. If they had some custom relationships between the two entities, it might have created that type of link and exposed the feature.  

You're welcome

Regards, Donna

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Remove option generally comes for N:N relatioonship ..have you had N:N relationship previosly which now chnage in to 1:N relationship? or is the out of box relationship you are taking here?
    MayankP My Blog My twitter
    Monday, August 23, 2010 10:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Donna, our user will use the remove function that you recommended. It works perfectly for them =).

MayankP - Unfortunately I cannot verify the previous setting and also unable to verify if the issue the user presented was an issue with the out of box relationship. *My knowledge is very limited with CRM entities & customizations.

Would there be something I could test in a separate test organization to allow N:N relationship between Account & Contact?

Thank you both for your responses!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:55 AM
  • In a test environment, go to Settings, Customization, Customize Entities and open the Account entity.  Go to N:N Relationships and select New Many 2 Many and create a new relationship with Contacts.  Call it Test Contact or something like that and choose to Display the relationship.   

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Donna, I'm confused when I get to the window where I create a New Many 2 Many relationship. I selected Contact and have both Display options set to "Use Plural Name" and both Display Area set for "Details". I then published the change. Was this correct? Thanks for your help

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:57 PM
  • That should do it.  Now you can add or create a new Test Contact record and you should see the option to remove from the action menu when you are on the Account record where you added the Test Contact.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Donna, many thanks! That seemed to work! I noticed it added a second "Contacts" under the Details panel of the the Account Record.

Is that an expected behaviour after publishing the change?

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Yes, that is expected behavior.  Hopefully you don't misunderstand the purpose of what you've just done.  This is not a 'fix' to get the Remove field to show in order to remove a Contact from the Account.

Instead, this is 'proof of concept' to show you or the end user, that the 'Remove' feature is not available for the default or 'out of the box' Contact entity. 

Regards, Donna

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Hi Donna, not to worry that did not translate as a "fix" to me. Its a very interesting 'proof of concept' and I would like to look more in to this.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:24 PM
  • Great, you're welcome Patrick, have a good weekend.

Regards, Donna

Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:33 AM