Cannot ad external drive for server folder backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there, after rebuilding my server (primary drive failed, went through restore, now almost everything works all my data is safe), I plug in my external drive and I want to back up my server (as in, backup all my shares and data, not the server OS).  However, when I add the drive, the wizard does not give me an option to add the drive  for server backup, it automatically starts formatting the drive and adds it to the storage pool.

I haven't been able to find anything about this on the web.  Can someone give me a heads up ?

I'm using WHS based on w2k3 (not vail), and I've tried a brand new clean drive, and a drive I've used in the past for backups when this feature worked.  Neither drive giees me the option to add for server backup.

Please advise.

Thanks

Danny

Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

this does not happen automatically, only if you add the disk to the storage pool manually from within the console.

If the option to add the drive as backup drive is not given, I would assume your WHS is not patched (lacking Power Pack 1 and subsequent patches).

Which version number is shown in the console?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:12 AM