none
The Wizard cannot find your home server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to setup a HP Media Smart Server onto my network but it isnt being found when I use the WHS connector.

Ive tried...

Advanced search for HPSERVERLX "Default name of the server I purchased."

Poked around inside my router a bit and I believe DHCP is enabled.

Enabled bypass of proxy in my Internet Explorer LAN settings advanced tab.

My setup. A Gateway PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, 2Wire ATT router, HP Mediasmart Server

Any help is truly grateful.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 10:05 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for your post, you are great!

Restating the issue I had was I bought a used HPSERVER LX195 which is a headless (no monitor) server. The lovely individual who decided to return the product did so without the instruction manual and after assigning it a Static IP. Doing so made it impossible for me to access the server. Anyways now this is the steps I took to resolve the issue.

My OS was Windows XP Pro SP 3. The LX195 comes with a recovery DVD. This is how to restore it to its factory settings.

1. I had to set my network connections on my PC to automatically find IP and DNS.

2. Connected a ethernet cable from my PC to the server directly.

3. Power on the server and use a paper clip or push pin to put the server in recovery mode. (If you have a LX195 the hole is located under the ethernet light on the front.) You will know its in recovery mode because the ethernet light will blink red and white

4. From there your system will find the server and from there will take you through the steps on the factory restoration.

Once again I appreciate all the help and wish this helps future users!

• Marked as answer by jsadan Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:46 PM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:46 PM

All replies

• On 6/19/2010 5:05 PM, jsadan wrote:

Hello all,

I am trying to setup a HP Media Smart Server onto my network but it isnt being found when I use the WHS connector.

Ive tried...

Advanced search for HPSERVERLX "Default name of the server I purchased."

Poked around inside my router a bit and I believe DHCP is enabled.

Enabled bypass of proxy in my Internet Explorer LAN settings advanced tab.

My setup. A Gateway PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, 2Wire ATT router, HP Mediasmart Server

Any help is truly grateful.

Hello there,

Are you able to connect or ping the server at all from the Windows 7 Client?  By this, I mean if you open Windows Explorer and click on Network, does the server show up there?  If not, can you connect to it by typing \\HPSERVERLX in the address bar?

If you open a command prompt on both the Windows 7 and the server, and type ipconfig, does it show the same network?  By this I mean both of them will have something like 192.168.1.x or 192.168.x.x (where the first "x" is the same, and the second "x" is different).  Also the subnet mask should be the same (most likely 255.255.255.0)  Now from the client, if you type ping serverIPaddress, do you get replies or time outs?

Does the Windows 7 client have Network Discovery and File Sharing enabled?

Finally, is the IP Address on the server a dynamic IP or static?  If you double click on the network icon and select Properties (or go to the Network Adapters, and right click on the LAN connection, then select Properties), you'll want to look in the TCP/IP (IPv4) Properties.  If it's set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically, you'll want to choose the other option, and give it an IP Address that's in the same network as your client--but NOT in the IP Addresses that your router automatically hands out (for example, if your router normally assigns IPs from 100 to 254, then you want the server's IP to be .2 to .99).

Hope these help you, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:09 PM
  • I am not able to see the server in my network nor can I access it in windows explorer.

The Home Server I purchased does not have hookups for a monitor just ethernet and 4 USB ports.

I have absolutely no idea what the IP address of the server is. I presume that the router I hooked it up to had DHCP enabled, would assign it one and I would go from there when I ran the Installation CD on my computer.

Printer and File Sharing is enabled on my Windows 7 PC yes.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:54 PM
  • On 6/19/2010 6:54 PM, jsadan wrote:

I am not able to see the server in my network nor can I access it in windows explorer.

The Home Server I purchased does not have hookups for a monitor just ethernet and 4 USB ports.

I have absolutely no idea what the IP address of the server is. I presume that the router I hooked it up to had DHCP enabled, would assign it one and I would go from there when I ran the Installation CD on my computer.

Have you contacted HP Support about this?  Since I'm assuming you just purchased the server, it should be under warranty and they should help you get it up and running.

You might also find information at http://www.mediasmarthome.com/  which is a forum for the MediaSmart servers. (Note this is not a Microsoft forum, and possibly not a HP forum either).

Here is the support page for the MediaSmart LX195  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3941454

And the support page for the MediaSmart LX197 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3969909

Hope these links help, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Have you updated today?

Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:01 AM
  • On 6/19/2010 6:54 PM, jsadan wrote:
    I am not able to see the server in my network nor can I access it in windows explorer.

Also from the LX195 User Manual (I'm assuming that the 197 is the same) it says to make sure that the software is trusted in your firewall. 

The HP MediaSmart Server Software Installation Disc installs several programs that
    enable your computer to communicate with the HP MediaSmart Server over your
    network. Software firewalls installed on your computer can block this communication
    and prevent the computer from locating the HP MediaSmart Server on your network. The
    following steps are recommended before installing the HP MediaSmart Server programs:
    • Launch your firewall and anti-virus software and update the trusted programs list.
    • Verify that your firewall and anti-virus software is set to "Learn" new programs.
    After the HP MediaSmart Server software is installed, the firewall should prompt
    you to allow the installed programs to communicate with the server. The HP
    MediaSmart Server requires that the following programs be excepted
    DoTask
    • HPHSConnector
    • MediaAggregator
    • MountBackup
    • RestoreOffProc
    • WHSTrayApp
    • WHSConsoleClient
    • Windows Home Server Connector

• If you are using a firewall or anti-virus program that cannot automatically update
    its trusted software list, please contact the firewall or anti-virus software vendor to
    find out how to manually add software to the trusted software list.

I've bolded the programs that you need to allow through the firewall in order for your software to connect and the installation to work.

Hope these help, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

-- 
    Have you updated today?

Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Thank you for all your suggestions, will let you know if problem is resolved.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:57 AM
  • Hey jsadan,

Try this:  Open a Web Browser type the following address http://HPSERVERLX:55000  , the Port Number is important.

Hope this helps...

Williamdinbc

Monday, June 21, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Thank you all for your post, you are great!

Restating the issue I had was I bought a used HPSERVER LX195 which is a headless (no monitor) server. The lovely individual who decided to return the product did so without the instruction manual and after assigning it a Static IP. Doing so made it impossible for me to access the server. Anyways now this is the steps I took to resolve the issue.

My OS was Windows XP Pro SP 3. The LX195 comes with a recovery DVD. This is how to restore it to its factory settings.

1. I had to set my network connections on my PC to automatically find IP and DNS.

2. Connected a ethernet cable from my PC to the server directly.

3. Power on the server and use a paper clip or push pin to put the server in recovery mode. (If you have a LX195 the hole is located under the ethernet light on the front.) You will know its in recovery mode because the ethernet light will blink red and white

4. From there your system will find the server and from there will take you through the steps on the factory restoration.

Once again I appreciate all the help and wish this helps future users!

• Marked as answer by jsadan Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:46 PM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:46 PM