Visual Basic 6 runtime support on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm wondering if the VB6 Runtime support will be extended on Windows 10 or not.

The ufficial release date of the new OS has been announced but I was not able to find any info about MS is going to support or not VB6 Runtime and COM+ application on Windows 10 (I know that the VB6 IDE support has expired some year ago).

Latest ufficial statement, https:// msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708 has been updated last time on November 2012 and it does not report what is the policy on the new OS.

Just to be clear, for my point of view it is not relevant if the applications may run on Windows 10 with some tricks, but only if MS will legally support the runtime or not that is what makes the difference for a production application.

Any info is appreciated.

Regards,

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:32 AM

Answers

• HI,

I have choosed this forum as this is not a tecnical question but a legal issue (support policy).

In any case I'll try to post the same question in other forums.

Thanks.

No matter if technical or not, this is not the proper forum. The forum I provided has many experts related to VB6 and would highly suggestion you ask there. I have been a member there for many years and know you will be in good hands there.

If you feel this is not proper for you then best to contact Microsoft directly outside of the forums for legal issues.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my webpage under my profile but do not reply to forum questions.

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Friday, June 5, 2015 3:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:24 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 10:17 AM
  • HI,

I have choosed this forum as this is not a tecnical question but a legal issue (support policy).

Thanks.

Moreover than Kevin.

A forum can never give any answer on whatever legal solutions. Everything what is told here is done by individuals not representing Microsoft in any legal issue, even if they are Microsoft employees.

For legal issues.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Success
    Cor

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is for VB.NET, for VB6 question such as this one you should ask in the following forum.

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my webpage under my profile but do not reply to forum questions.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Friday, June 5, 2015 9:05 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Why not go to a newer version. VB6 (Visual Studio 1998) is not free. Visual Studio Community edition which contains VB12 is (under certain conditions free (not for bigger companies for instance)). You cannot convert anymore, but with copy and past of the code you can do a lot. Despite what some wrote is in fact in VB not so much changed. The value keywords have shift and the way parenthesis are used in more consistent than in version 6. The big change is the designer however where not anymore like in version 6 the Windows Forms is in a kind of giblish fomat behind the scene but direct in standard code in a way you can use it everywhere in your program. This limits also the many 3rd party presentation Com objects, because those cannot anymore be used.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

Success
    Cor

Friday, June 5, 2015 9:13 AM
  • HI,

Thanks.

Friday, June 5, 2015 9:15 AM
  • HI,

Thanks.

No matter if technical or not, this is not the proper forum. The forum I provided has many experts related to VB6 and would highly suggestion you ask there. I have been a member there for many years and know you will be in good hands there.

If you feel this is not proper for you then best to contact Microsoft directly outside of the forums for legal issues.

• Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Friday, June 5, 2015 3:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:24 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 10:17 AM
  • HI,

Thanks.

Moreover than Kevin.

A forum can never give any answer on whatever legal solutions. Everything what is told here is done by individuals not representing Microsoft in any legal issue, even if they are Microsoft employees.

For legal issues.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Success
    Cor

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hello, The_programmer.

Cor and Kevin have given you correct answers.

I have one additional suggestion (which may or may not help). Why not try the Windows 10 Tech Preview forums? They should have the best/latest info (again, NOT official legal opinions):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WinPreview2014General&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

• Edited by pvdg42 Friday, June 5, 2015 3:47 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 3:46 PM
  • HI,

Thanks.

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 - Nothing is noted for greater than Win 8.1. Recommend you read entire link.

Migration & Support Strategy for Visual Basic -  - All new development should be done in .NET.

La vida loca

Friday, June 5, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Microsoft have just stated:-

"Windows is committed to compatibility. The Windows compatibility team has been looking at user telemetry and reacting to feedback from Windows Insiders to ensure that existing apps work well with Windows 10. Windows 10 is designed to run Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 software programs. And yes, everyone’s favorite VB6 Runtime will continue to work, too. In the near future, the compat team will go more in-depth on this topic on Blogging Windows."

So Microsoft do say VB6 programming will work on Windows 10.

They also state that 'Project Centennial' Universal Windows Platform Bridge will work with VB6 code.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:04 PM
  • Yes, VB6 programming is fine on Windows 10.

Microsoft describe VB6 as 'everyones's favorite'. VB6 programming on Windows 10
    "And yes, everyone's favorite VB6 Runtime will continue to work, too"

And the VB6 IDE installs and runs on Windows 10 too. Installer for VB6 programming IDE on Windows 10

• Edited by Sten2005 Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:33 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:24 AM
  • Hello,

This forum is for VB.NET, for VB6 question such as this one you should ask in the following forum.

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

What an inadequate and unhelpful response.

The OP asks if Microsoft will extend support of the VB6 Runtime to Windows 10 and all you can suggest is that the question should be asked in a non-Microsoft forum !

Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:42 AM
  • Microsoft have announced their support policy for the VB6 programming language on Windows 10.

"The Visual Basic team is committed to “It Just Works” compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems: Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 including R2, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 including R2, and Windows 10."

"VB6 runtime will ship and will be supported in Windows 10 for the lifetime of the OS. Visual Basic 6.0 runtime files continue to be 32-bit only and all components must be hosted in 32-bit application processes."

Windows 10 is supported until October 2025.

VB6 support in Windows 10

And the VB6 IDE installs and runs on Windows 10

Install the VB6 programming IDE on Windows 10
    VB6 IDE installation on Windows 10

Monday, September 21, 2015 6:56 AM