none
How to evenly create the processors on the nodes. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MPI program running on the Windows HPC cluster. The cluster have 50 nodes, each nodes have 8 processors. I tried to run my program using 50 processors. The windows HPC always creates 8 processors on 1 nodes. How can I use 25 nodes and each nodes create 2 processors. I tried to use machine file, however, The windoes HPC didn't create processors as my machine file specified.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 5:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Try running the job with a combination of /numnodes scheduling and a -cores mpiexec argument like this: 

job submit /numnodes:25 mpiexec -cores 2 MyApp.exe
    Eric Lantz (Microsoft)
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:18 AM
  • where to type the command "job submit /numnodes:25 mpiexec -cores 2 MyApp.exe". in powershell?
    Can I do it in windows HPC cluster manger ? I tried to do the task like :
    mpiexec -n 4 -cores 2 MyApp.exe
    but the program also run on one node using 4 cores.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Hi trimtrim
    You may well have worked this all out for yourself by now, but:
    "job submit" is a command line (cmd) tool http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc972834(WS.10).aspx for info. You could of course use another submission method (GUI or PowerShell)...
    Also, there is an excellent summary of how to place processes across cores / nodes on the Windows HPC blog:
    As Eric states, the mpiexec -cores switch is your friend.
    Cheers
    Dan
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Hi!

Sorry for lifting an old thread.
    I have the same problem, using Abaqus/CAE to submit jobs to the HPC Job Manager. I want the jobs to be evenly distributed over the available cores, since we're running an all-workstation cluster. Abaqus creates a xml-file that the job manager runs. How can I incorporate the "-cores"-command without having to use command-line job submission?

/Daniel

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:41 PM